Hot or Not? Sankey Tortoise

Lerxst

spaghetti and blankets
Tortoise is my latest interpretation of what a modern archtop guitar can be. This guitar tests many concepts that wouldn't have been dreamed of by Loar or D'angelico. The multi-scale fretboard gives a good tension on the lower strings while retaining the easy playing characteristics of a short scale on the upper strings. The headless design makes the guitar exceptionally compact and well-balanced, a common fault with traditional archtops. Even the body has a strong wedge cross-section from the lower treble bout to the upper bass bout. The soundhole, if it can be called that, is merely a deeper cut of the delicate chamfer running around the bindingless edges.

Some other unique touches are harder to notice. The soundboard may be carved of traditional engelmann spruce, but the back is instead a flat (actually mildly domed) bookmatched set of curly maple. The sides are one continuous piece all around the perimeter, joined only at the tip of the horn. The pickup is a K&K soundboard transducer, to invisibly reinforce the acoustic sound of the instrument. To keep the tailpiece light and compact, I have used a special set of Gotoh Stealth tuners unlikely to be produced again.

http://www.sankeyguitars.com/

DSC_2904tortoise.jpg

DSC_2909tortoise.jpg

DSC_2910tortoise.jpg

DSC_2920tortoise.jpg

DSC_2925tortoise.jpg

DSC_2915tortoise.jpg

I don't know if I could do the multiscale thing. I also don't like the placement of the tuners. Other than those 2, I like it.

I don't mind the headlessness of it as much as the solution for the bridge/tuners.

What an awful thing to do to some gorgeous wood :cry:

ETA - if it had a standard headstock, and almost any kind of typical bridge, I would be more like drool0

That's an amazing bit of design. I've been thinking about how to approach a headless full hollow solid wood jazz and/or acoustic guitar for years...not a build or engineer/designer, but I think about unneeded things all of the time.

I think this approach is very cool, although I'd try to figure out something else with the tuners. The multi-scale aspect is also super cool.

All that said, I don't actually care for how this guitar looks. I'm also not up to the task of being able to play respectably in the style for which this guitar was made to play. Seems like something Bill Frisell should be playing.

After reading the write up and understanding the mandolin influence (which is incredibly obvious, yet to which I was oblivious), I'm warming up to the aesthetic. As to the tuners, these work, but I wondering LSR tuners, mounted so they are parallel to the top...I think it would be a cleaner/sharper look.

PRSLSRheadblech.jpg

Back