Sam Bush playing solo in a gondola lift in Telluride.

Sam Bush was one of the first people I met in Nashville, and completely by accident. As I was leaving work one day he pulled up in an old blue Volvo asking for directions.

This thread's kind of funny. I was up in Telluride no more than a month ago and I was watching this clip with Sam yesterday. GET OUT OF MY BRAIN.

Those are really nice.

I'm actually watching "How to Grow a Band" in small bits as I have time this week and I'm completely mesmerized with Chris Thiele right now. Unfuckingreal that guy is.

Those are really nice.

I'm actually watching "How to Grow a Band" in small bits as I have time this week and I'm completely mesmerized with Chris Thiele right now. Unfuckingreal that guy is.

Except even more so. Regardless of technique (and his is staggering), it's the passion that he puts into his performances that takes him to level I've rarely heard elsewhere. John Coltrane is the only one that comes to mind at the moment, but it's definitely rarefied air we're talking about. And while he is amazing and fun live, it's the musical performance (be it live, studio, whatever) that I'm referring to.

I was thinking you should watch something like that as a cleanse after subjecting yourself to the VMAs.

I'm in that gondola every February. It's a great opportunity to practice chemical warfare with friends because that shit lingers.

P.S. Sam is awesome.

Back