Saint's 5E3 Tweed Deluxe Build

Discussion in 'The Loudhouse' started by Modern Saint, Nov 23, 2011.

Nov 23, 2011
  1. Modern Saint Not My Monkey!

After building my Weber 5E7M last year I still need a combo amp as I don't own one. Well I kind of do - Mesa Boogie MKII - but I have retired it as 1) it is heavy 2) very loud and 3) my collectors item - besides I am the original owner.

For those who never saw my 5E7M build - here it is:

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/showthread.php?19042-Weber-5E7M-Saint-style!!!&highlight=weber+build

After a long internal debate of what to do for my next build I have settled in on 5E3 Tweed Deluxe Clone. Unlike the 5E7M which entirely a kit 'cept tubes, this one consists of parts from different manufacturers so parts orders will be placed in a timely manner.

Well the first of my parts came in. The parts and chassis are from Mojotone which uses high quality components and this stuff is prime. Along with my purchase came a gift from Mojo, a T-Shirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the Mojo Amp Parts Kit

[​IMG]

The box has been opened - OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo

[​IMG]

I borrowed Prages idea of sorting parts on a sheet but Mojo made it even easier. All the parts are bagged individually and tagged. Here is what came in the magic box.

Resistor Packages -

[​IMG]

Cap Packages -

[​IMG]

Hardward Packages

[​IMG]

Chassis Parts

[​IMG]

Cloth Wire

[​IMG]

Boards

[​IMG]

I had to buy the Chassis separately and boy, this is a beautiful chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't take a pic of the power cord just incase Weiner's were wondering.

Anyway I got a chance to install the hardware into the chassis

Front Panel

[​IMG]

Rear Panel

[​IMG]

The next step will be to begin work on the board. I will also order the OT and PS Transformers soon from Triode. I will be using ClassicTone Transformers by Magnetics Corporation
  2. Nov 23, 2011
  3. Mark Wein :mad:

:cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Nov 24, 2011
  5. Tig position 2 & 4 apologist

Cool!

BYOC is about to release their first amp kit...
    Amp Kit U.S. Release Date Is Set!

BYOC is proud to announce that on December 1, 2011, it will finally be releasing its first amp kit - The Champlifier. Corny name? Perhaps. The finest DIY amp kit based on the sweetest 6 watts of tube amplified tone ever created? Definitely.

Retail for the complete amp kit will be $349.99. This is for the amp only. This does not include speaker(s) or cabinet. We will also be offering The Champlifier without tubes and/or transformers.
  6. Nov 24, 2011
  7. Modern Saint Not My Monkey!

I won't be getting one of those though Tig. I have a SF Vibro Champ that will get recapped and upgraded in the near future.
  8. Nov 27, 2011
  9. Modern Saint Not My Monkey!

One of the really cool things that the Mojo small parts kit offers are great components (Carbon comp resistors, Orange Drop Caps and TAD Electrolytic Caps) - Woo Hoo!
    Saves on having to individually order parts. For those who do not know about the component dissertation, major discussions have been debated on the effect of sound, tone, and clarity of electronic components.

*Modern Saint's building disclosure: That will not be discussed here as 1) that is not the purpose of the thread and 2) there are many other forums where this type of discussion can be done.

Here is a pic of the assembled board. Wiring still needs to be done.

[​IMG]

The Classic Tone Transformers were ordered on Friday so I should see them later this week. I still need to wire the board up and wire up the chassis. Stay tuned to the same Saint channel if you are following this thread.
  10. Nov 28, 2011
  11. Chad Fantastic Orpple

again, very cool Saint. I only wish I was out in Cali to hear it in person when it is done.
  12. Nov 28, 2011
  13. Modern Saint Not My Monkey!

Thanks bro! Maybe one day you will make your way out here. Got two more to build on the back burner - getting build GAS. Gotta say one at a time Saint, one at a time. Cheaper than buying I tell ya :D
  14. Nov 28, 2011
  15. ellengtrgrl Guitar Old Timer

It sounds like fun! Good luck! :)
  16. Nov 28, 2011
  17. BoomBoomBigelow Genius of Love

Looks juicy! Apt to sound juicy, too!
  18. Nov 28, 2011
  19. Nice!

I'm starting to get an itch to build another amp...
  20. Nov 28, 2011
  21. Tig position 2 & 4 apologist

12 is the new 11 :aok:

[​IMG]
  22. Nov 29, 2011
  23. Modern Saint Not My Monkey!

The Tweeds go to 12!

Prages and I can vouch for that.
  24. Nov 29, 2011
  25. Prages User Error

Very cool. I'm gonna have to build another at some point myself. Right now I'm gassing more for electronic drums though. :weebz:
  26. Dec 1, 2011
  27. Modern Saint Not My Monkey!

Got the Tranny's today - Woo Hoo!!!

Classic Tone's!

[​IMG]

The Tranny's are installed - Yes

[​IMG]

Test fitting the Board

[​IMG]

More wiring to do.

Three more items needed to purchase.

1 - Cabinet
    2 - P12Q Jensen Speaker (Alnico) - like the original, was gonna do a Hellatone but I change my mind - builders perogative.
    3 - Tube set.
  28. Dec 2, 2011
  29. wahcat Music Addict

This is the kit I was wanting you to build for me bro. I'm still up for it if you are after you finish the first one.
  30. Dec 4, 2011
  31. Wyatt n00b

Weber 12A125A

Or better yet...

Weber 30-watt Alnico Bluedog or Scumback 30-watt Scumnico. I ran a real '60's Vox Alnico in my 1960 Tweed Deluxe for a dozen years and it was a match made in heaven.

Also, what size are the octal the socket holes in the Mojo chassis? I ask because I like to use old/NOS tube sockets, people can debate caps and resistors all they want, it's the mechanical parts I have preferences for and sockets are the one thing I don't like any modern option for.

I never knew about the Mojo small parts kits, that's a swell idea.
  32. Dec 4, 2011
  33. Modern Saint Not My Monkey!

When I was going through the process to build this amp, I thought about the Weber's (both 12A125A and the Bluedog) and considered. Decided to go with the Jensen instead - primarily because of the recent quality issues that Weber has had this past year - board gossip, also I know what the Jensen's sound like. Only heard of the Scumback's but don't know much about them as I have been primarily a Celestion user.

The octal hole size is 1 5/32" Hole Size. I do agree with you about the mechanical parts as well.
  34. Dec 7, 2011
  35. Modern Saint Not My Monkey!

To keep consistant with the narrow chassis (Mojo), I just ordered the cabinet from Mojo.

[​IMG]

I am going to shellac this one too just like my Weber build to age this baby.

[​IMG]

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/fo...eber-build-gets-final-touches&highlight=weber

Slowly but surely this amp is coming together. Still finishing up the wiring of the unit. I will show pics as progress on the wiring comes to a close.

All that is left to order is the speaker and tubes. Technically all I need is a rectifier tube but I do need some backup 12AY7's and I would rather use Tung Sol 6V6's rather than the JJ's I have.
  36. Dec 21, 2011
  37. Modern Saint Not My Monkey!

Haven't done much lately but the tubes have been ordered. I also got my Jensen P12Q yesterday so all items have been ordered. Still waiting on the cabinet as it was a minimum two week waiting period. I double checked today for an ETA on the cabinet. It is 1/5/12 - so cool as it gives me time to finish so I will be able to plug and play soon. Just in time for a small pickup blues Happy Hour gig on the 1/6/12.

The Box

[​IMG]

Jensen P12 Front

[​IMG]

Jensen P12Q Back

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  38. Dec 22, 2011
  39. Chad Fantastic Orpple

i haz jealous.