RyanNo3's Pedal Repair

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
I don't normally do this, but he's one of our own, and I think you should all know about the great work Ryan's done for me.

Over the past year or so, @RyanNo3 has worked on a bunch of my pedals. He put a bass mod into a modded RAT, replaced the chips and some caps in my BOSS GE-7 for lower noise, rewired my wah, and helped me troubleshoot the bypass on a circuit bent DOD flanger. And I'm about to send him another pedal that has a bad switch.

So if you're having trouble with a pedal, or looking for a mod, it's worth reaching out to him. It's just a side thing for him. But his turnaround has been quick and I've felt his prices have been very fair.

Thanks, Ryan!

Awesome.

I didn’t realize people repaired pedals. I thought when there was a problem your only option was to replace them.

Awesome.

I didn’t realize people repaired pedals. I thought when there was a problem your only option was to replace them.

I think it depends on the pedal. Some are worth fixing and some aren't. I cut my losses when the cost of the repair is more than the pedal is worth.

I finally got some time with the modded GE-7 this morning. Stock, the GE-7 adds noise to the signal just as soon as you move a slider. Any slider. And it doesn't matter whether you boost or cut. Noise is added. I didn't hear it for a long time and then one day I heard it and couldn't un-hear it.

The main reason I wanted the mod is because the DOD Gunslinger has a ton of gain, and that can make it noisy (my MI Audio Tube Zone had the same issue). It doesn't fare well with a dirty booster. But it does very well with a clean boost. And I thought, "why do I need a clean boost, I have an EQ pedal?" Unfortunately, on either side of the DOD, the EQ added noise. So Ryan modded it with a combination of new diodes and caps.

I'm not going to say all the noise is gone, because that would be nearly impossible given the limitations of the circuit. What I will say is the reduction in noise level is significant. And now I can put it in front of the DOD, goosing the low mids and upping the volume, and that gives me the solo boost I was looking for. Or, I can put it afterwards and keep the volume at unity, and I can get more dirt by riding my volume knob. I'll probably do that at non-apartment volumes.

Last edited:
I repaired a Metal Zone by throwing it into a trash compactor once. It was the best the pedal has ever sounded.

Awww come on there are some great sounds buried in the Metal Zone... back off the gain and you can get some good stuff. Problem is most people never do that... it's metalz... it's for da brootalz... :facepalm:

Back