RyanNo3's Pedal Repair

Discussion in 'The Pedalboard' started by Help!I'maRock!, Jan 24, 2018.

Jan 24, 2018
  1. Help!I'maRock! Quaalude Moonlight Graham

I don't normally do this, but he's one of our own, and I think you should all know about the great work Ryan's done for me.

Over the past year or so, @RyanNo3 has worked on a bunch of my pedals. He put a bass mod into a modded RAT, replaced the chips and some caps in my BOSS GE-7 for lower noise, rewired my wah, and helped me troubleshoot the bypass on a circuit bent DOD flanger. And I'm about to send him another pedal that has a bad switch.

So if you're having trouble with a pedal, or looking for a mod, it's worth reaching out to him. It's just a side thing for him. But his turnaround has been quick and I've felt his prices have been very fair.

Thanks, Ryan!

2. Jan 24, 2018
  3. smurfco I'm Mr. Bulldops

He has built me a couple of pedals as well, including the Smurfco Signateur Wah. Good things from his hands are made!

cvogue and RyanNo3 like this.
  4. Jan 24, 2018
  5. RyanNo3 Pedals - Pedals - Pedals

Aww shucks guys.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6. Jan 24, 2018
  7. Knox in Box Rustbelt refugee.

If I was stateside I'd hit you up for a couple of things, but shipping would make it ridiculous.

8. Jan 24, 2018
  9. micwalt Hell Bound, F*g-Enabling Whore

Good to know!

10. Jan 24, 2018
  11. reverend1 Kick Henry Jackassowski

Awesome.

I didn’t realize people repaired pedals. I thought when there was a problem your only option was to replace them.

12. Jan 24, 2018
  13. Help!I'maRock! Quaalude Moonlight Graham

I think it depends on the pedal. Some are worth fixing and some aren't. I cut my losses when the cost of the repair is more than the pedal is worth.

reverend1 likes this.
  14. Jan 24, 2018
  15. RyanNo3 Pedals - Pedals - Pedals

I repaired a Metal Zone by throwing it into a trash compactor once. It was the best the pedal has ever sounded.

shoeless, GDSmithTX, jelloman and 5 others like this.
  16. Jan 24, 2018
  17. Help!I'maRock! Quaalude Moonlight Graham

Shoulda saved the housing.

reverend1 likes this.
  18. Jan 24, 2018
  19. RyanNo3 Pedals - Pedals - Pedals

You're right.. There's a door that closes in my house. Perfect to prop it open.

20. Jan 24, 2018
  21. Help!I'maRock! Quaalude Moonlight Graham

Or build a different circuit and stick it in there. :p

22. Jan 24, 2018
  23. Bob411 Something Funny

Yeah !

24. Feb 12, 2018
  25. Help!I'maRock! Quaalude Moonlight Graham

I finally got some time with the modded GE-7 this morning. Stock, the GE-7 adds noise to the signal just as soon as you move a slider. Any slider. And it doesn't matter whether you boost or cut. Noise is added. I didn't hear it for a long time and then one day I heard it and couldn't un-hear it.

The main reason I wanted the mod is because the DOD Gunslinger has a ton of gain, and that can make it noisy (my MI Audio Tube Zone had the same issue). It doesn't fare well with a dirty booster. But it does very well with a clean boost. And I thought, "why do I need a clean boost, I have an EQ pedal?" Unfortunately, on either side of the DOD, the EQ added noise. So Ryan modded it with a combination of new diodes and caps.

I'm not going to say all the noise is gone, because that would be nearly impossible given the limitations of the circuit. What I will say is the reduction in noise level is significant. And now I can put it in front of the DOD, goosing the low mids and upping the volume, and that gives me the solo boost I was looking for. Or, I can put it afterwards and keep the volume at unity, and I can get more dirt by riding my volume knob. I'll probably do that at non-apartment volumes.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  26. Feb 13, 2018 at 2:09 PM
  27. cvogue Yes, that's Oolong. :)

The Smurfco SigWah?!??!! beavis0

28. Feb 13, 2018 at 2:10 PM
  29. cvogue Yes, that's Oolong. :)

Awww come on there are some great sounds buried in the Metal Zone... back off the gain and you can get some good stuff. Problem is most people never do that... it's metalz... it's for da brootalz... :facepalm: