Help! "Runaway" Bonnie Raitt - Guitar Solo Ideas

Deep Eddy

Argle Bargle or Foofaraw?
I'd appreciate some suggestions on how best to approach creating a solo for the song Runaway, as performed by Bonnie Raitt. The chords are: Cm - Bb - Ab - G - G7

My initial thought is to come up with a riff/motif that I can use over each of the chords and focus on the chord tones for each chord.

I don't have a lot of time to prepare, so simple is best. I'm kinda thinking: What Would Steve Cropper Do?

Thanks.

I love that version of that song. Takes me back to when I was a kid, riding in my dad's truck. He had it on cassette.
Anyway, I'd do some straight Cm pentatonic blooze riffs mixed in with some natural minor noodling until it hits the G. Then switch to C harmonic minor for that phrygian vibe. It'll be super cool!

Last edited:
I'm doing that one for the first time in a week or two! I'm thinking sustain is your friend, I'm the Bonnie/Lowell George style. The fewer, longer notes you play, the less you need to think about the chords.

I'd shoot for a very simple, melodic minor pentatonic with lots of sustained notes and vibrato. Maybe use a slide if you can.

Back