RPM 500 5" Bi-Amplified Studio Monitor (Each) - Today's Price $99.99 - Reg $199.99

I never really understood why anyone would need a pair of individually amplified stereo monitor speakers.

Why not run your mix through a audiophile grade stereo amp into a pair of audiophile grade speakers?

You're going to get better sound reproduction that way........perhaps I am missing something.

I never really understood why anyone would need a pair of individually amplified stereo monitor speakers.

Why not run your mix through a audiophile grade stereo amp into a pair of audiophile grade speakers?

You're going to get better sound reproduction that way........perhaps I am missing something.
Sometimes you need space more than you need that audiophile grade stereo amp. Also, the technology keeps getting better and better.

Sometimes you need space more than you need that audiophile grade stereo amp. Also, the technology keeps getting better and better.

I can understand that.......

However, these are monitors, basically to use in the studio to mix stuff down for final prep, right?

I would just think that a higher-end pair of speakers would give you a truer sound that is going to come through when you're done mixing your CD (or what-have-you).

There's only so much fidelity you're going to get out of a 5" woofer.

JM2CW, and I've been wrong before.

I can understand that.......

However, these are monitors, basically to use in the studio to mix stuff down for final prep, right?

I would just think that a higher-end pair of speakers would give you a truer sound that is going to come through when you're done mixing your CD (or what-have-you).

There's only so much fidelity you're going to get out of a 5" woofer.

JM2CW, and I've been wrong before.
You're also talking about consumer grade monitors that are being normally sold for $400 a pair. They won't even be used in properly tuned control rooms 99.9% of the time so even if they were super accurate they won't be in a proper environment to be listening to.

You're also talking about consumer grade monitors that are being normally sold for $400 a pair. They won't even be used in properly tuned control rooms 99.9% of the time so even if they were super accurate they won't be in a proper environment to be listening to.

Cool. Good answer. I hadn't factored into the equation the "listening" environment (the room).

Makes sense when I look at it like that.

Good bookshelf monitors are significantly less expensive than audiophile speakers. Audiophile grade gear is just a gimmick for suckering rich guys into paying too much.

Good bookshelf monitors are significantly less expensive than audiophile speakers. Audiophile grade gear is just a gimmick for suckering rich guys into paying too much.
I know a handful of sound engineers who would disagree with you on the gimmick comment. It might be true in some instances, but as a blanket statement not so much.

Monitors actually allow you to hear mistakes that you wouldn't want to have progress through the recording process. Nothing worse than someone saying what the hell is that sound right as you're going to master. The mid notch of audiophile grade stuff can sometimes cover things up.

Monitors actually allow you to hear mistakes that you wouldn't want to have progress through the recording process. Nothing worse than someone saying what the hell is that sound right as you're going to master. The mid notch of audiophile grade stuff can sometimes cover things up.

Then it isn't very good audiophile stuff, now is it? Speakers can be "colored" a bit, but their whole job is to reproduce faithfully what's in the mix as it was recorded.

Then it isn't very good audiophile stuff, now is it? Speakers can be "colored" a bit, but their whole job is to reproduce faithfully what's in the mix as it was recorded.
I don't know if I'd say the goal is to be faithful to the recorded mix. I'd bet goals vary from listener to listener. But I've always thought the larger goal was to make it sound good, hence the popular use of vacuum tubes which can impart that pleasant distortion.

I don't know if I'd say the goal is to be faithful to the recorded mix. I'd bet goals vary from listener to listener. But I've always thought the larger goal was to make it sound good, hence the popular use of vacuum tubes which can impart that pleasant distortion.

I think the old vacuum tube amplifiers add a certain warmth, but that's not really something that should be on the listener side.
That's going to come through on the recording side.

I guess it is sort of a "Vinyl sounds better than a CD" argument, you know?

The job of your home stereo shouldn't be to color the recording in any way (or as little as possible). Lots of home speaker brands have lines that claim to be "Studio Monitors", they're usually pretty pricey.

I dunno....I guess you pays your money, and you takes your choice.

Some of the best speakers I have ever heard were old BBC Rogers speakers. Un-fucking-believable. They were pretty small, too, but they were driven by a nice power amp (Solid State).

You can hear things on a nice setup that I guaran-damn-tee you can't hear on these being offered.

For instance on one of SRV's records, the way it was recorded, you can hear the springs under the snare vibrating on Little Wing. This happened in the studio, during the recording. You can't hear that without good quality stuff. You'd never notice it.
There are all kinds of instances of things like that.

But, I get that sometimes price is a concern.......I would just think that if you were actually recording/mixing your stuff for production, you'd be hard pressed to beat a nice stereo amp and a pair of good quality home speakers. Not cheap shit, but pretty good stuff.....

But, to Mark's point, sometimes price/space/environment is a concern, in which case....I can understand that.

Back