Listen to this - Royal Blood

pmc100

Faux Guitarist
These guys having being getting a lot of press in the UK lately. Two piece bluesy garage rock band. "So what?" I hear you say. The difference is the singer plays bass instead of guitar but you'd swear it's a 3 piece. He gets amazing sounds from his bass. Drummer is also great. Decent songs too.

These guys blew me away at the SXSW Music Festival earlier this year. I think they're coming out with a full album soon. I will definitely be getting it.

You're right. The rock duo thing isn't the cool gimmick it used to be. But these guys do it really, really well.

EDIT - Just checked. It came out this week.

They get a lot out of the sparse sounds but I miss the fullness of a guitar or some other chorded instrument after a bit.

I get that it's better to divide things 2 ways, and decisions might be easier, too, compared to 3 ways. Still, I miss what a guitar can bring to the mix. I admit that these guys pull it off well, though.

Royal Blood is good stuff.

Granted, Morphine also had a horn player as a three piece but also did the no guitar rock band concept.

Just found these guys myself yesterday (God bless MTV UK for playing actual music videos. IBD). Missed this thread or the others for that matter. Definitely good stuff.

In this video you get a good view that he is using 2 POG'S on his board to split up his signal and send to two amps. cool stuff.

Last edited:
Call me shallow, but the drummer alone makes me really dislike them
Royal-blood.jpg

Not too shabby. Although the lack of a guitar player is leaving me wanting a bit more. There is only so much drum and distorted bass I can take.

Back