Help! Rotator cuff, anybody?

bsman

b00b
I have three tears in rotator cuff tendons and will be getting arthroscopic surgery to reattach the tendons to the bone and will have a biceps release done at the same time. The surgeon said six-nine month rehab, but I don’t know how it will impact my playing. Anybody been through something like this?

After several hundred dislocations, I had it in the late 80's (big cuts versus modern procedures) and that shoulder is finally starting to wear out the last few years.
Mrs. T had hers done about 6 years ago and it was hanging by threads, but she recovered in about 4-6 months.

you can use the old joke about being able to play the piano after surgery :grin:

Seriously can't tell you but you probably can talk with the surgeon. If he's done a lot of these he's likely to have had the same or similar question before. Rehab times are generally for full, or as close as it gets, recovery not necessarily the time you can't do anything. Think back to full bench press ability as opposed to lifting a jug of milk (which you probably won't be able to do for a while given the surgery I would imagine)

Good luck mate!

Funny part of it is that this is my right (non-dominant) side. My left is tooling along quite nicely. I think that perhaps all of those pushups I did during quarantine may have exacerbated the problem, since the tears apparently look non-traumatic...

I have three tears in rotator cuff tendons and will be getting arthroscopic surgery to reattach the tendons to the bone and will have a biceps release done at the same time. The surgeon said six-nine month rehab, but I don’t know how it will impact my playing. Anybody been through something like this?
My old boss had that done when he was in his late 60's. He had his arm in a sling for about three weeks but beyond that I don't recall him having any serious problems.

Find a REALLY good OT or PT with post-surgical and shoulder experience and follow their advice closely. If they seem to be phoning it in, ditch them immediately.

Find a REALLY good OT or PT with post-surgical and shoulder experience and follow their advice closely. If they seem to be phoning it in, ditch them immediately.

I'm already seeing a PT, and I will get a good idea when I see her next week (2nd pre-op visit) and I ask her about push-ups and to give me some exercises for my core that won't impact my shoulder...

I would start training yourself to get accustomed to sleeping in positions that won’t irritate the shoulder post-op. I’m a side sleeper so I’d be fucked if I needed shoulder surgery.

I would start training yourself to get accustomed to sleeping in positions that won’t irritate the shoulder post-op. I’m a side sleeper so I’d be fucked if I needed shoulder surgery.

you might be surprised. I was a side sleeper until I tore an ACL back in the day when it was not an easy recovery. I had my leg in a cast for 2 months and it took another 4 to get it back to being straight so I had to sleep on my back, no choice with a full leg cast. Now I'm a back sleeper :shrug:

Back