Rock Stars having a hard time paying their bills...

mikesr1963

Gonna walk my dog, you?
...and well, I'm bringing this up because I just read an article where some dude from the Deftones talking about how being a rock star isn't paying the bills unless they work hard.thwap0 Last night I watched this video where Johnny Hiland is wanting fans to go out to their favorite bars/places and talk him up and get them to contact his management asking him to play or something to that effect so his manager can get a tour booked messedup0:facepalm:. I bought Johnny's first record and I liked it. His last cd put out was in 2008 and I didn't buy it because it sounded the same as first to me.:bor:

Am I missing something here?:shrug: Plenty of people here work hard doing a day gig and then do their music gig to pay the bills. I though that was part of the gig, working hard, developing your sound and playing anywhere and everywhere until you catch the dream should it happen to you. Your star rises and you did real well and got a taste of the life. Staying there depends on the star doesn't it?electricguitar054 I mean you work on new stuff, new acts, new product, new package, go out and play to support it etc., etc., etc. If you don't do that shouldn't you expect business to slow down or in the case of show business come to a halt?icon_conf Somebody send these people a copy of Lemmy's movie and they can hear how he made a living for decades and didn't cry about it.

I'm thinking maybe rock star isn't the correct terminology they should associate with their act. :quag: Before I'm going to do anything to go out of my way to drum up business for someone I don't know I'm going to try and help my buddy's band playing at the Bigger Burger Friday night.:Wave:

I don't know, fuck it. :gah:

I'm too old for all these smiley faces. Can someone sum this up for me?
I don't like working hard playing music to pay my bills. My manager is to lazy to make calls to put a tour together for me would you all go out and do it then call him and tell him who to call so I can go tour instead of getting a job doing something else.

Well, the opportunities to make money for musicians on any level are diminishing. Those of us who teach can at least still live a middle class existence (especially if our spouse has a good job). I'm very glad I don't rely on just performing to make a living anymore. The world has changed for better or for worse and musicians just have to learn how to make it work just like the guy who made horsehoes when the automobile gained popularity and any one of a zillion occupations that have been overtaken by time, fashion and technology.

I just bought a car and got 3-4 calls/emails from my salesman asking me to complete surveys and online reviews. It was annoying. Telling a local venue that i want them to book an act i like seems a lot less intrusive.

I think when many musicians complain about the hard work what they mean is that it keeps them from playing music as much. If you're not playing popular music you probably work full-time whenever you aren't on the road, so adding in more work can mean you just don't have time for music at all. Given that Hiland plays rockabilly that's probably his situation.

Honestly, a great many musicians need to accept that playing unpopular music isn't going to pay the bills. If you're playing rockabilly, alt-country, or sub-subgenre metal it's probably time to just make music a hobby and stop touring.

Whelp, I guess once a month we get to have the "sand in the nether regions" thread where folks line up and lovingly smear poo on each other. I'm too tired and grouchy to read through all this and decide what to do so I'm just closing the thread and going back to work.

and no, the thread hasn't been reported. I just don't feel like waiting for it to happen.

Whelp, I guess once a month we get to have the "sand in the nether regions" thread where folks line up and lovingly smear poo on each other. I'm too tired and grouchy to read through all this and decide what to do so I'm just closing the thread and going back to work.

and no, the thread hasn't been reported. I just don't feel like waiting for it to happen.

Directly mocking the board owner seems like the fastest way to bannination.

Well, if any of you starving musicians want to come over and give me head, I'll give you.....well, nothing, but....see? It could always be worse.

Whore yourself in any way you see fit.

Wow. You guys make me not want to actually participate in a forum that has my name in the URL. Congrats.

Back