Hot or Not? Robin Ranger Standard

I think the owner just got the shits of the business. Like Doug says, the pickups are easy and people know about them. The guitars, not so much. I talked to the owner a few times and he was a cool guy. Now he can focus on fishing and not demon customers.

I had no idea they're the same folks. I've got a set of Rio Grande P90s in my Guild and I love them.

I had no idea they're the same folks. I've got a set of Rio Grande P90s in my Guild and I love them.

Yep.

Rio Grande Pickups, Robin Guitars and Tanglewood Guitars (Valco/Supro lookalikes) were all the same company, I think their was one more brand for bollowbodies as well.

Always seemed to me that Robin's heyday was their pointy, custom, superstrat era, when guitars were bold, bright, pointy and eye-catching....Robin did well when Gibson and Fender sold poorly. But as the spandex-era ended, the tide shifted and their "newer" retro designs like the Ranger just couldn't compete with a reinvigorated Gibson and Fender.

$950 probably a fair price these days, but maybe a 5-10 years ago, you could buy a used Robin for $700, less than half it's new cost.

Last edited:
Back