Hot or Not? Robin Ranger Standard

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
I'd hit it if I had the cash to spare.

https://reverb.com/item/327977-robin-ranger-standard-2002-sunburst

$950 + $50 Shipping

2002 Houston TX USA hand made, totally stock, Robin Ranger Standard in a satin sunburst finish. Just an amazing instrument you won't be able to put it down, I'm reluctantly listing this only because I have another from the same year with a maple fingerboard, this one sounds better. If a rosewood board on a fender scale is your thing it doesn't get any better than this. Small marks around the edge of the body, nothing major just honest wear from use, one spot on the neck where the rubber on a guitar stand reacted with the nitro finish, (see pix), you don't notice it while playing it's purely cosmetic, frets are in great shape, it feels, sounds and plays great. Comes with a Gator HSC. Make it yours before I change my mind.
Specs from the Robin website: http://robinguitars.com/ranger_standard.html

fp2xkfqbhg8dqrnuxjpw.jpg

avl9qp4ry03j0lkizilp.jpg

I like it. The price isn't stupid from what I know about Robin's.
Robin Guitars all be like our local hero for decades around here.

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimmy Vaughan playing a double-neck Robin family style.

bgbd2.jpg

Billy Gibbons checking out his Robin custom order.
c. 1996

jlvrb2.jpg

Jimmie Vaughan on the low down with his Ranger Baritone
c. 1988

ej3.gif

The Robin RV-2, with tone so sweet.
Eric Johnson c. 1982

Last edited:
I like the pickup arrangement, but that pickguard doesn't do it any favors--open pickup routes are not a good look. It kind of looks like a Tele-Strat Frankenstein a little bit, where it doesn't quite hang together aesthetically. And that's not a great piece of wood to have a transparent finish on.

I'm not sure why you'd want to put a Tele pickup at the bridge but ditch the ashtray. Isn't that sort of one of the pillars of the Tele sound? Or maybe it just makes the other two pickups sound wonky.

Man, every time I come back into this thread, I have to stop myself from hitting the USA Custom Guitars site and ordering one of those Ranger strat bodies.

Back