Risky? Whisky

So, they send you the distilled bourbon. You then pour it into a bottle with their supplied roasted oak chips and whatever else you think you want to taste. Once the botanical stuff colors and flavors the brew you pour it into another bottle, add water to reduce the proof and put a label on it. No home distilling done at all. Hmmm. Where's the "risky" in any of that? I think I'd just rather get a bottle from the package store and maybe experiment with adding flavor to that. Not a drinker, though, so my logic probably isn't spirited enough for this.

I guess the risk is that it probably ends up tasting like shit. A buddy got me some 1L charred barrels for a birthday some years back. We determined that you get a lot of color and a little flavor within 6 months, but it takes 6+ years to get rid of that young liquor taste.

I don't mean to deter you, though, DFB. It's a fun experiment, especially if you have realistic expectations.

I'd give it a go, is it any different from just getting some 125 proof grain spirit then doing it yourself? I assume that's all it is

Along similar lines, there's a company here sell little kits where you can make your own blends from small samples of single malts, then they will package full blended bottles for you according to your recipe

I've also been tempted to go on a a gin making course, they let you make your own gin with whatever botanicals you want

A guy I worked alongside out in Saudi Arabia tried to make whisky out of the local firewater and unsurprisingly it tasted horrible.

Even most blends are aged for 8 or more years never mind your single malts which tend to start at 10 and most of them are pretty bland at that age - this just looks like a lot of hassle and time to potentially end up with some rotten booze at the end of it.

There's a local distillery that offered to let some friends and I pick our own gain bill and participate in the distillation, barreling, etc. But it sounds like a lot of work for something that would take 8+ years and could still suck.

Back