RIP Lonnie Mack

Scott Powell

Blackmore Wannabe
I got into Lonnie Mack in 1984 due to Stevie Ray Vaughn's praise of him,as well as producing an album of Lonnie's. 2016 has been a cruel cruel year

RIP.

I know this isn't a thread about SRV, but what I always appreciated about SRV is he made no apologies about where he got his inspiration and licks (and listening to the OP, the link is obvious). He introduced legions of fans to players like Mack, Johnnie Copeland, Albert King and Albert Collins (who I also found through Robert Cray).

I too only heard of him from Stevie Ray Vaughan. Bought that record too.
Then he fell off my radar.

Seeing this clips, I wish my interest had been rekindled.

RIP.

Lonnie lived, played and recorded in and around Cincinnati for many years. At Cincinnati's premier record label, Syd Nathan's King Records, he played second guitar on a number of recordings by blues singer-guitarist Freddie King, and lead guitar on some recordings by "The Godfather of Soul", James Brown. The uncredited guitar solo on Brown's 1967 instrumental, "Stone Fox", has been attributed to both Mack and Troy Seals.
I'm from Cincinnati.

Last edited:
He played bass on The Doors' Roadhouse Blues. He used to do a lot of free concerts at block parties in downtown Louisville. He was an awesome performer.

Attack of the Killer V is one of my top-ten favorite albums.

The whammy bar got its name from him (Well, from his album The Wham of that Memphis Man)

my good friend Paul Peek had scheduled a small tour with Lonnie back in the late 1990's,and i was hoping to meet Lonnie,but Paul got too sick to tour and it never happened.

Back