RIP Dutch Van Kirk,last surviving crewman of the Enola Gay

Scott Powell

Blackmore Wannabe
I had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with this man at World War Two Days in 2008.We discussed Life,Aircraft and he really liked my display of German Military Medals and we discussed Imperial Germany at great length.This generation was truly the Greatest Generation,and it saddens me as we are now losing so many every day
ww2days2008017.jpg

What a sadtime in history. Why can't we rise to such heroics to solve all our problems? Without killing 60 million in the process...
You guys realize that fully 20% of the earth's population died between 1939 and 1945? How sad.
Tragically, history repeats itself.

image.jpg

Reactions: Tig
I met Paul Tibbets at a military show about 15 years ago. He was signing autographs for money, with the proceeds going to some charity I think.

I'm really not that interested in getting autographs, even for free. But there wasn't anyone around him at the time, so I said hello for free :)

I can't imagine what went through the crew member's minds when they heard and felt the shock of that explosion behind them.

It's a sad thing when a generation passes, and it's a sadder thing that so many were so heroic. Whatever the stance on war, we have to acknowledge those that are willing to give up their own life for the good of another. We also have to acknowledge that self-sacrifice is also done outside of the bounds of war, as so many of that generation made incredible sacrifices.

As many here know, my Dad is 90, when he was 20 he was a tailgunner on a B24, flying out of England. He is my hero.

At 20, I was wearing long hair, smoking weed and going to college. I thank your dad (and mine) for allowing that to happen. The crap their generation went through is unreal.

Back