Rigs of Dad

PS, nice jacket!!
damn straight, I've been a fan all my life. Even when they do stupid shit and can't get out of their own way.

Here's an older one, me with Billy Kilmer and Roy Jefferson.

kilmer.jpg

frightening. I am grateful to be attractive, fit, wealthy and posses enough sophistication to employ only the finest equipment.

PS: my wife is a supermodel. 'though I have children, they are superior.

I'll see your banjo and dress code, and raise you a retirement village gig. FTMFW!

15894862_10155429603366754_778285542854386631_n.jpg

I love, love, love playing for nonegenarians. It's incredibly powerful and moving when you see their reactions to the music of their teens and twenties that they haven't heard in decades.

I do understand that most of their entertainment is absolute shit, though.

And it's also worth noting that the musicians above are horribly dressed.

I bitch constantly at the guys in my band for often dressing like they were changing the oil in the lawnmower and realized they were going to be late for the show.
Around here there are WAY too many bands of 40-60 year old guys wearing jeans,t-shirt and tennis shoes to the gig. I like to dress up for the gigs

These are rock bands we play in....no?
Since when has there been a dress code?
Who says if I'm in a cover band I have to wear a button down shirt with the sleeves unbuttoned and rolled up 1 time with pressed jeans with shoes....
Back in the day you'd be called a poser for conforming...

I instituted an everybody-in-black-suits rule for my band. The real problem with the way musicians dress, not yet mentioned in the thread, is intra-group inconsistency. Left to our own devices, my band would be one guy in jeans and ironic tee, one guy in the awful Musician's Friend flame shirts, one guy in a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts, and another guy in tie-dye and sweats. At the very least, pick a look and get everyone on board, lest you look like the different-versions-of-a-middle-class-white-guy Village People.

I instituted an everybody-in-black-suits rule for my band. The real problem with the way musicians dress, not yet mentioned in the thread, is intra-group inconsistency. Left to our own devices, my band would be one guy in jeans and ironic tee, one guy in the awful Musician's Friend flame shirts, one guy in a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts, and another guy in tie-dye and sweats. At the very least, pick a look and get everyone on board, lest you look like the different-versions-of-a-middle-class-white-guy Village People.
I go back and forth on this. Of course, I am a solo performer, and am doing "folkish" music. I tend toward clean, dark blue jeans, khakis or black jeans for pants; chambray work shirts, plaid shirts, or button-down collar dress shirts. I often used to wear a sport coat, though they tend to bunch up around the guitar as I play. Sometimes, however, I go very dressed up, or might wear a kurta or Nehru-collared vest. I did shorts and t-shirt for some outdoor gigs, but that was a while ago and I don't think I would now.

As for bands, I sometimes like to see the "uniform" look, but I do much prefer the "be yourself" look. Sort of late Beatles vs. early Beatles.

I think you nailed it. I don't get hung up on what bands are wearing, but if one is in a golf shirt and khakis, another is in shorts and a t-shirt, the other is wearing a tie and black pants, it looks bad. If the whole band is in Hawaiian shirts, cargo shorts and flip flops, I won't even really notice because they are all in a similar "suit."

I love, love, love playing for nonegenarians. It's incredibly powerful and moving when you see their reactions to the music of their teens and twenties that they haven't heard in decades.

I do understand that most of their entertainment is absolute shit, though.

And it's also worth noting that the musicians above are horribly dressed.

You lost me at the last line. The only thing "horrible" about anything anyone in that shot is wearing is the arguably silly derby, and even that could probably be saved by changing the gratuitous green hatband.

Or maybe the fiddler's white socks.

Come at me bro.

Back