Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://www.destroyallguitars.com/component/hikashop/item/1173-rick-toone-dragon

Rick Toone Dragon

$13,500.00

item is in stock

DESCRIPTION:
This guitar is conceived as an homage to SpaceX and their Dragon capsule. The guitar is part of a matched pair, crafted from a single slab of ambrosia maple from Princeton, New Jersey. The second instrument is Falcon, in reference to the SpaceX launch vehicle. The two guitars are designed to achieve complimentary tones due to their differing pickups and body construction methods: solid vs. chambered. Expect warm sweet jazz tones with capability for full-on modern metal.

SPECS:
- Body wood: ambrosia maple from Princeton, New Jersey (with walnut accent)
- Finish: clear
- Body design: fully chambered with carbon fiber back plate
- Neck: Element™ anodized machined aircraft grade aluminum
- Attachment: proprietary stainless steel bolt-on
- Frets: polished stainless steel
- Scale lengths: 24.625" treble vs. 25.625" bass
- Width nut: 1.625"
- Neck thickness: 0.50"

- Neck profile: organic
- Tuning: patented TOONE & TOWNSEND headless, anodized aircraft aluminum, stainless steel, bearing bronze, brass
- Bridges: patented TOONE & TOWNSEND intonation cantilever, anodized aircraft aluminum, stainless steel
- Pickups: custom OEM DiMarzio metal/jazz humbuckers designed by Steve Blucher
- Switching: proprietary 3D with 5-way, volume, ToneStyler
- Case: Reunion Blues Continental
- Strings: D'Addario 10-46 nickel wound

PRICING INFO:
- $13,500.00

I have to say that while I would never have $13k+ to spend on a guitar my current practice regimen has left me wanting to try something a little more ergonomic like this.

I'm not normally a price asshole, but jesus! :messedup:

I'd definitely play it though if someone wants to give me one.

Lousy Toons
PEDzopm.png

Everything about this design seems like it's trying to skirt every design (maybe patent) of Steinberger and Klien guitars. Specifically rearranging a Klien and adding bulkier hardware (that I assume is either proprietary or easier to buy or license than Ned's stuff). I'd rather have a Klien.

I'm not normally a price asshole, but jesus! :messedup:

I'd definitely play it though if someone wants to give me one.
I AM normally a price asshole (and I've unfortunately raised your ire about it a time or two), but that's not nearly my biggest complaint with it. To me, it just looks like a piece of a table. That being said, given permission, I'd love to pick it up to see what the fuss is about. Then, I'd put it right back down, go home, play one of mine, have a beer, and smile.

Back