Richard Thompson is the greatest strat player that has ever lived

I like Glen Tilbrook's guitar playing and I like that solo in particular:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11466082

But Richard Thompson is on another level.

Maybe, but it's the overall musical package, and Thompson doesn't have it for me. Great playing in/over tunes that I don't enjoy or can't listen to is useless. It is also quite likely that Glenn can do much more as player, but the Squeeze doesn't call for it. Some folks like pushing harmonic boundaries and others just like playing what sounds good to them (or their band or the producer or whatever). Neither thing is bad, but...

Maybe, but it's the overall musical package, and Thompson doesn't have it for me. Great playing in/over tunes that I don't enjoy or can't listen to is useless. It is also quite likely that Glenn can do much more as player, but the Squeeze doesn't call for it. Some folks like pushing harmonic boundaries and others just like playing what sounds good to them (or their band or the producer or whatever). Neither thing is bad, but...

Richard Thompson has a fantastic voice. Maybe not Tom Waits great, but it's still perfect for what his music is. Why do you hate the English?

Richard Thompson has a fantastic voice. Maybe not Tom Waits great, but it's still perfect for what his music is. Why do you hate the English?

Wait...what? I was extolling the virtues of Glenn Tilbrook. He's English. Earlier it was Queen and particularly Brian May...English. And a double wait for the fact that I didn't mention singing at all in the post you replied to. I can has confuzed?

What I find interesting about the list we're compiling—Hendrix, Beck, Vaughn, Knopfler, Thompson, Gilmour, etc.—is that those guys are all instantly recognizable in a way that doesn't happen as often with humbucker players. The Stratocaster lends itself to creating a more distinct signature, I think.

Duane Allman, Freddie King, Albert King, BB King, Billy Gibbons, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Angus Young, Jimmy Page, Slash, Zakk Wylde, Randy Roads...

... definitely not everyone's favorite, but they all have pretty distinct sounds, right?

I wouldn't have guessed he can jump this high.

gj.jpg

Classic thread. I must ask, though, could any one of you take a ukelele or one of those fucked up cigar box guitary things out on the street and have someone listen to you for more than a minute? I'd like to try. Andy maybe could.

Classic thread. I must ask, though, could any one of you take a ukelele or one of those fucked up cigar box guitary things out on the street and have someone listen to you for more than a minute? I'd like to try. Andy maybe could.

Well, not as long as I'm doing Tom Waits covers. :embarrassed:

Having just seen Thompson again a week ago I'll share this observation: You need to see him live. YouTube clips aren't adequate. I'm betting @Danhedonia would agree.

I've taken many friends to RT shows over the years and my experience has been consistent. No one walks away saying, "Dude can play but it's just not my thing." The reaction is universally, "FUCK ME. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?"

some good names so far but I think we all know who owns the strat or at least redefined it

Back