Ribeye vs. New York strip vs. Top Sirloin

I still have no idea why the tri tip is this mystery anywhere aside from the west coast. I know it goes by another name but it's not coming to me at the moment. It's the best bang for the buck though by far, great grilled or roasted, makes a tubular french dip. It's in the vein of flank or skirt in the sense that it's great beef in larger quantities, a great ingredient rather than a "steak" steak.

Hanger steaks are great, but hard to come by and not cheap anymore. They used to call them butcher steaks because the butcher would cut it for himself as nearly nobody wanted them. They have a slight organ quality to them, imagine a more oblong skirt steak with an 20% injection of liver like flavor, that's pretty close. Very good alone or in tacos or with french bread.

I like new yorks myself. A well marbled NY is a great cut, it's texture more course/varied than ribeye, it's not usually as buttery or tender, I think it has a bit more flavor generally. Both are great cuts, I think it falls between your texture preference.

Worst cut on the planet, Del Monico. I think it's what's left over after the good cuts are gone. Or it's not beef.

Sent from The Nether

I still have no idea why the tri tip is this mystery anywhere aside from the west coast.

I found this . . .

"In the old days, when butchers cut their meat from the whole beef, they cut sirloins with the bone in, and the tri-tip portion, a triangular chunk of bottom sirloin, ended up as a nondescript part of sirloin steak. Nowadays the sirloin is boned out whole at the packing plant, and the two tri-tips are separated, boned, and sold to butchers whole, thereby creating a new and tender cut."

"Tri-tip was seldom marketed when carcass beef or beef hind quarters were delivered to retail markets because there is only one per hind quarter. This meant that there was not enough for a case display, so the butcher would grind or cube it. Today, most stores receive boneless boxed beef. If you don't see tri-tip in the meat case, ask for it. Tri-tip roasts can be ordered separately if your butcher knows there is a demand."
Most tri-tip is shipped to the Western U.S. where it is very popular with consumers. Tri-tip is even included in many West Coast barbecue competitions as an optional category. It is often associated with California's central coast region and the Santa Maria Valley in particular, where "Santa Maria-style" tri-tip is the meat of choice. In a tradition going back to the days of Spanish rancheros, the meat is heavily seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic, cooked slowly over a red oak fire, then sliced across the grain and served with fresh salsa, cooked pinquito beans, guacamole and warm tortillas.

I usually go for a porterhouse or just a filet mignon, depending on my appetite.

I've tasted wonderful and terrible examples of pretty much every cut of beef, so I stick with what's been most reliable in my experience.

It is a tough call between ribeye and strip, I get them both. I'm with the Reverend on the sirloin issue. :embarrassed:

Lately though I have been grilling filets a lot. Some say they lack flavor compared to the more marbled cuts, but I find the buttery tenderness more than makes up for that. Plus, you can annoint it with some melted garlic butter if you feel like you aren't getting your fair share of fat.

I found this . . .

"In the old days, when butchers cut their meat from the whole beef, they cut sirloins with the bone in, and the tri-tip portion, a triangular chunk of bottom sirloin, ended up as a nondescript part of sirloin steak. Nowadays the sirloin is boned out whole at the packing plant, and the two tri-tips are separated, boned, and sold to butchers whole, thereby creating a new and tender cut."

"Tri-tip was seldom marketed when carcass beef or beef hind quarters were delivered to retail markets because there is only one per hind quarter. This meant that there was not enough for a case display, so the butcher would grind or cube it. Today, most stores receive boneless boxed beef. If you don't see tri-tip in the meat case, ask for it. Tri-tip roasts can be ordered separately if your butcher knows there is a demand."
Most tri-tip is shipped to the Western U.S. where it is very popular with consumers. Tri-tip is even included in many West Coast barbecue competitions as an optional category. It is often associated with California's central coast region and the Santa Maria Valley in particular, where "Santa Maria-style" tri-tip is the meat of choice. In a tradition going back to the days of Spanish rancheros, the meat is heavily seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic, cooked slowly over a red oak fire, then sliced across the grain and served with fresh salsa, cooked pinquito beans, guacamole and warm tortillas.

Makes sense I guess. I learned how to grill Tri Tip from a crew from Vandenberg AFB (on the central coast) who were transferred up to Sunnyvale. We did some large group BBQ's (200+ people) and it is some of the best I have ever eaten. Tri Tip, garlic/onions, beans, salsa all on a tortilla. They called them 'walking tacos'. Delicious.

Tri-tip IS glorious, but it requires a fair amount of work before grilling or it will be tough. We like to marinate them overnight in a variety of marinades and then grill them to medium rare (and then microwave the wife's portion to shoeleather). Sliced thin, it's heaven!

Tri Tip is a staple at the casa de OGG. We grill one at least twice a month. Rain or shine, dead of winter or dog days of summer.

I make my own "Montreal" style rub which gets applied generously an hour or two before grilling.

We let the grill (always the charcoal grill, never the gas) go just beyond the peak of its heat cycle before putting it on, fat side up first so that it melts and bathes the surface in its artery clogging goodness.

We periodically place wet hickory chips in the fire for some Smokey deliciousness, 45 minutes on each side (we get some pretty big cuts), and they turn out gloriously perfect... crisp seer on the outside, and pink that turns slowly to a beautiful red the closer it gets to the center.

The juice flows like a tasty stream as you make that first slice.

Slice it fairly thin, and place it in a nice warm, freshly baked french roll and you have reached Nirvana.

...and then grill them to medium rare (and then microwave the wife's portion to shoeleather). Sliced thin, it's heaven!

Sadly that's a familiar event at my house. Nothing infuriates me more than my wife ordering a filet, butterflied and well done. I offer my shoe every time and tell her it tastes the same and is cheaper.
Oh and then she smothers it in A1. Holy facepalm.

Sent from The Nether

Tri Tip is a staple at the casa de OGG. We grill one at least twice a month. Rain or shine, dead of winter or dog days of summer.

I make my own "Montreal" style rub which gets applied generously an hour or two before grilling.

We let the grill (always the charcoal grill, never the gas) go just beyond the peak of its heat cycle before putting it on, fat side up first so that it melts and bathes the surface in its artery clogging goodness.

We periodically place wet hickory chips in the fire for some Smokey deliciousness, 45 minutes on each side (we get some pretty big cuts), and they turn out gloriously perfect... crisp seer on the outside, and pink that turns slowly to a beautiful red the closer it gets to the center.

The juice flows like a tasty stream as you make that first slice.

Slice it fairly thin, and place it in a nice warm, freshly baked french roll and you have reached Nirvana.

God, I haven't had steak in months, and my mouth is literally watering now...

I generally prefer a ribeye but I dont really have a problem with any of the cuts listed. Sirloin can be a bit tough but can also have some great flavor, and yes, it makes a fantastic burger. I've been getting what Costco is calling flap meat lately and it is pretty dang good. It's not as tough or chewy as skirt or flank but looks similar. Great for tacos or carne asada and from what I understand, can be braised for an amazing pot roast.

Flap meat is probably not the best name. :embarrassed:

Sent from The Nether

What? Juanita Cudahey is back in town?

But seriously, I had the most memorable butt steak at a restaurant in Chicago, a long, long time ago, and I've not had anything better since. It's a big cubish, chunky cut, probably hard to cook properly, and you don't see it on menus often.

No, seriously.

I've been getting what Costco is calling flap meat lately and it is pretty dang good. It's not as tough or chewy as skirt or flank but looks similar. Great for tacos or carne asada and from what I understand, can be braised for an amazing pot roast.

Pot roast? Oh hell no Johnny! Up here in New England, flap meat is known as sirloin tip. Supermarkets and butcher shops often have their own brand of marinade and sell tons of it. They sell this stuff for about 5-10 bucks a pound depending on the grade. If it is nice and fatty, grill it up like a steak with all the usual spices. In the restaurant, we used to trim off the membranes then marinate whole slabs in Good Seasons Italian dressing mix for a minimum of 24 hrs. We would grill it to order, slice it up against the grain and serve it up as a london broil. Chinese restaurants up this way are famous for using it for teriyaki sticks, they pre slice it on the bias, then marinate it in teriyaki sauce for a full day, sometimes two. Then the stuff gets grilled under a salamander 2-3 minutes per side. Tender and oh so f'n yummy.

As far as my own favorites, it has to be either a porterhouse or a cowboy cut ribeye for grilling. The bone in makes for an excellent flavor. Another favorite of mine is a NY sirloin, except I buy it 2-3 inches thick minimum with a big fat cap left on. These puppies come from the top butt primal. 4-5 lbs for one of 'em isn't unusual. I smoke roast them under fairly low heat for a couple hours. They come out medium rare and are far more tender than a brisket.

Last edited:
Back