Ribbon Mics

One of the biggest things to remember about ribbon mics is that it has a ribbon, rather than a diaphram, so handle with care. Also, the ribbon will be much more sensitive to high sound pressures, and can be damaged by them. Generally, the ribbon mics are used in the studio, rather than live. With that said if placed right, there are plenty of applications for them. I picked up an MXL R40, just as an entry into ribbon mics (with my fingers, toes, and eyebrows crosses, hoping it wouldn't be a huge disappointment), and I have absolutely fallen in love with that mic. It's just perfect for my voice. I get an accurate reproduction of my voice, and I sound totally smooth through it (darn I say, "creamy?"). Finally, the best polar pattern for a live mic is cardioid, because it does a good job of preventing feedback. I can't say for all ribon mics, but the MXL R40 has a figure 8 pattern, so that it picks up some of the ambience of the room. That could be a disaster for a live vocal mic.

The MXL R40 & R140 are great deals (super cheap!), as are the Cascade Fathead and Fathead II.
Sound great on all sorts of stuff.

For live applications, the figure 8 pickup pattern inherent to any ribbon mic can be a problem when monitors and isolation are an issue.
Also, be careful to avoid phantom power, as this can damage some ribbon mics - especially vintage ones.
Taking one on gigs can expose it to any number of bonehead sound guys who may not know or care about this.
Certain models may also have rather large magnets in them. A Coles 4038 can easily suck up a handful of paperclips. Be sure to avoid packing them with any sensitive magnetic recording media.

I am the sound guy, and don't usually use a monitor. Sometimes, at a coffeeshop gig, Carol decides she wants to sing along on some songs, she tries to share my mic, but it doesn't pick up well. I was looking at an MXL ribbon mic thinking it might be good for that a,d was cheap enough to maybe experiment with.

Gary, if you're thinking about the R40, it's worth a try. If you use it live, though, just remember that even if you are not worried about monitors out in front of the mic, you need to be aware that it can pick up room sounds. Depending on the type of place that you play, it might, or might not be an issue. I will say that it's a fun mic to sing through.

Back