Reverend Hellhound

Chad

Slender Hobbit
anyone have any experience with this amp? If all goes well Friday, after we settle on the house I'm going to get a new amp and I've seen a few of these floating around.

All I've ever heard about Reverend amps is that they were excellent. Once you factored in their actual price, thebang for the buck factor was out of this world. That said, I think people start to undervalue quality products of all sorts once the notion that something is "great for the price" gets brought up. So...

All I've ever heard about Reverend amps is that they were/are excellent. Some folks are okay with the guitars, but think Naylor's real calling was amps.

Last edited:
Oh, and another factor...Naylor amps were/are three or four times the cost of the Reverends they are based on, without any real or consistent evidence of being "better". You can used Reverend amps for what seem like reasonable prices from what I've seen.

I owned and played through a Reverend Kingsnake for about a year. Great amp. Lots of versatility and huge bang for the buck. The guy that I sold the amp to bought it because at the time Jason Isbell was playing through Hellhounds.

Ultimately my ears want my amp to be EL84 based since those are the cleans that the sound in my head requires so I sold it and bought an EL84 based amp.

When I was searching to see what they were going for used earlier, two came up in google on the right before I hit the Shopping link. One on Reverb for $599 and another eBay for $599...

Now the Reverb one is $600 (yeah, only a dollar I know), but the eBay one is now $650. It's like the seller is monitoring chatter and raising their price based on potential growing interest. It's part of the game, but the part I hate.

I owned and played through a Reverend Kingsnake for about a year. Great amp. Lots of versatility and huge bang for the buck. The guy that I sold the amp to bought it because at the time Jason Isbell was playing through Hellhounds.

Ultimately my ears want my amp to be EL84 based since those are the cleans that the sound in my head requires so I sold it and bought an EL84 based amp.

How were the cleans on it? I know you prefer EL84, but were they good for a 6L6 amp?

How were the cleans on it? I know you prefer EL84, but were they good for a 6L6 amp?

They were very good. I will say that the drive is where it is even better, but I gigged mine using the cleans all the time. Some nice subtle changes when you switch from the US to the UK preamp modes.

I had one for a while. I had it at pragestock. They sound pretty great. 40-60 watts but sounds better on the 60 watt setting. I remember it taking pedals really great. This was an older one. Not the Cusack reissue ones.

IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG

I had one for a while. I had it at pragestock. They sound pretty great. 40-60 watts but sounds better on the 60 watt setting. I remember it taking pedals really great. This was an older one. Not the Cusack reissue ones.

Cool. I think Cusack has stopped making them. They don't mention them at all on their website anymore.

The Reverend Amps have a great rep. Some years back I was this close to buying a Goblin.

The Reverend Amps have a great rep. Some years back I was this close to buying a Goblin.

Yeah, I was going to buy Reverend amp before they stopped making them and the same with the U.S. guitars...but missed out on both. Outside of the novelty of their uniqueness, from everything I've read and heard, the MIK Revs are at least as good but likely better than their U.S. made older siblings. The Korean factory was already making the necks that so many folks loved and they are one of the premier Korean shops/factories. Joe designs stellar stuff and they execute it perfectly. Their are two or three factories in Korea that are the same spot as the "best" Japanese factories in the '80s and '90s...making as good as guitar as you can get from an American factory, but at a far cheap cost based on features and craftsmanship.

The cost of the new amps based on Naylor's designs are crazy. Not saying they aren't worth it, but if Joe could do them reasonably priced in the '90s, so could the new folks.

Back