Reverb - MXR M300 vs. Boss RV-6

Thinking of getting a reverb to keep with my Fender Concert. I found a thread somewhere discussing these two and they seem likely. Any current thoughts? Seems like I can get the Boss a bit cheaper. A Gearpage thread I found seemed to be a toss up. Current thoughts here?

My ears don't pick up enough of a difference to care that much other than price, used.

Those two are universally praised, but people have preferences.

Depending on what you want, you may also want to look at the Catalinbread reverbs (Topanga and Talisman), the Subdecay Super Spring Theory, and the TC HOF2.

The MXR or the RV-5. I have no experience with the Boss reverbs, but during a Rig Rundown with Explosions in the Sky, they swear by the 5. They said the 6 is terrible compared to the 5. Those guys know their Reverb :grin:

Edit: it is the 3 they love not the 5.

The MXR or the RV-5. I have no experience with the Boss reverbs, but during a Rig Rundown with Explosions in the Sky, they swear by the 5. They said the 6 is terrible compared to the 5. Those guys know their Reverb :grin:

Edit: it is the 3 they love not the 5.

I hated the 3. It needs a treble cut mod, and there is one. I just didn't know about it at the time.

Ok, too hard to figure out which Boss so will probably just get the MXR when I do. I like the small enclosures also. and if it good enough for El Presidente . . .

Plus, I like the sound of my Carbon Copy so I would expect to like the sound of the MXR.

Ok, too hard to figure out which Boss so will probably just get the MXR when I do. I like the small enclosures also. and if it good enough for El Presidente . . .

Plus, I like the sound of my Carbon Copy so I would expect to like the sound of the MXR.

@Guitar Heel has the MXR, I've heard it and played through it. If I were buying a new Reverb pedal, it would be the MXR.

I re-listened to the above comparison through a better speaker and liked the MXR better. Sounded somehow less sterile, or something. Anyway, I liked it better.

That’s funny. The guys from Explosions in the Sky said the Boss reverbs after 3 sound sterile or digital.

Nah, I just saw these two on here when you and @Mark Wein were discussing it some time back so focused on these two. Will look at that one too. I like my old Bad Monkey I still have. My first pedal ever. Yeah, a tube screamer clone. Your favorite!

Ok, dunderhead question. What is the practical benefit or not of having stereo outputs on a reverb or moduation pedal? I honestly have never used the stereo output on my boss chorus and instead just ran it mono. I am looking it up online but all things considered, I like to keep things simple. And the MXR has just the one output.

Ok, dunderhead question. What is the practical benefit or not of having stereo outputs on a reverb or moduation pedal? I honestly have never used the stereo output on my boss chorus and instead just ran it mono. I am looking it up online but all things considered, I like to keep things simple. And the MXR has just the one output.

Unless you're running 2 amps in stereo, just keep it in mono.
A nice stereo rig can be awesome, but very few of us often get to do it on small cramped stages. :wink:

Every stereo pedal I've seen, they label which imput, output to use for mono so I wouldn't hold it against a pedal just because it's stereo capable.

As far as the benefit, if you have a stereo amp, "Princeton Chorus, M80 Chorus" AND you want that effect in the FX loop, a stereo pedal, run in stereo, keeps the separation.

Ok, so really doesn't apply to me. I saw about running two amps in stereo. Can't think when I would ever do that. And neither has a stereo feature. I did also read that the MXR has a stereo setting that is accessed by the one output and then you run a splitter or something. So, back to which sound I like better.

Ok, so really doesn't apply to me. I saw about running two amps in stereo. Can't think when I would ever do that. And neither has a stereo feature. I did also read that the MXR has a stereo setting that is accessed by the one output and then you run a splitter or something. So, back to which sound I like better.

https://vidweb.aws.marketlive.com/jimdunlop_vid/text/content/pdp/manuals/M300.pdf

Manual says you can run it in stereo by using a TRS cable. That's a perfectly cromulent solution.

I had to go remember what "cromulent" was about and found this, which is quite funny as a reminder of all the great words the Simpsons gave us. In fact, it might be considered cromulent of me to have done this.

http://www.cracked.com/article_1526...raptacular-top-12-simpsons-created-words.html

"And if you thought this brief etymological aside was interesting, then we hate to tell you this, but you're one of the very nerds for whom this little Simpsons nugget can be attributed. Sorry, Poindexter."

rotflmao

Back