Return to the Planet of the "Hey Euro's its that time again" Thread.

I know we don't usually talk politics here, but I find myself in this weird position where I want to vote to stay in the EU and then I get all these pamphlets and stuff from David Cameron telling me I should vote to stay and instantly feel conflicted.

Important question: If Britain does vote to leave the EU, will we Brits need to start a "Return To The Planet of the Hey Brits It's That Time Again" thread and no longer converse with the contintental based forumites?

:grin:

Well now you've just convinced to vote Leave :embarrassed:

I know we don't usually talk politics here, but I find myself in this weird position where I want to vote to stay in the EU and then I get all these pamphlets and stuff from David Cameron telling me I should vote to stay and instantly feel conflicted.

I honestly have no idea whether leaving or staying would be a better idea.

I do think that if we had never joined up, not joining would be the sensible choice, maybe only joining EFTA (like the Norwegians did iirc, seems to have worked for them).

As we did join however, I can't shake the nagging feeling that it would be more costly to extract Britain from the EU than remain. Whether that cost is financial, political, economical, trade, etc is not clear to me.

Leaving would be a disaster IMHO. Unpicking the all the legalities would be a massive distraction for every government for years and our entire economy is trade based. The argument that we can 'control our own trade' is nonsense. To give an example. Russia decides it's pissed off with us and unilaterally imposes trade restrictions against us. There is fuck all we can do about it and no-one is going to back us up. They'd be a lot more reluctant to do that to the EU. Or China wants to build a new factory. Will they build it in the 300+ million population market with zero trade tariffs between it's members or will they build in the little island off to the right and have to deal with import tariffs and red tape with 20 different countries?

Then look at Russia and Ukraine. They were part of a seemingly rock solid political and economic union for decades and parted as 'best friends'. Now look at them. It might take 20 or 30 years but never discount the possibility of another European war without common interest to prevent it.

On the other hand, we could throw out Wok :embarrassed:

The only people who are sure not to be worse off in case of an exit is the rich elite.

It would also allow them to get rid of that pesky European court and a lot of the employment regulations which keep the workers safe.

People really think that isolationism is realistic in an increasing globalised world?

Funny reading all the SNPers who spend their life moaning about wanting to break away from the London yoke but desperate to stay in the EU :grin:

I digress. I'll be voting to stay, even my dads voting to stay and he's pretty reactionary on most politics.

I honestly have no idea whether leaving or staying would be a better idea.

I do think that if we had never joined up, not joining would be the sensible choice, maybe only joining EFTA (like the Norwegians did iirc, seems to have worked for them).

As we did join however, I can't shake the nagging feeling that it would be more costly to extract Britain from the EU than remain. Whether that cost is financial, political, economical, trade, etc is not clear to me.

The Norgwegians were doing great as long as they had good times, the idea of a union is not that you fly high alone when you're doing good, but that you're okay all the time as long as you stick together. The Norwegians are figuring that out now that oil isn't worth as much anymore. At this point they're even considering violating their famous oil fund regulations to cover their expenses.

I think the EU should drop the UK like a brick a they vote no. Want to be alone? Cool, but no deals taking the benefits but not the risks, you're in it together our you're out. The EU is going to be fine without the UK, they are mostly a pain in the behind trying to get some special treatment in every negotiation. Yes, they are a big financial hub, but it remains to be seen if they are that on their own merit or because they're part of a giant union.

The same idiotic voices came up in the Netherlands a while back, until everyone realised the only reason we're not just a backwards swamp is our EU trade network.

Reactions: wok
Well, at least Austria voted in a leftwinger. Having said that, almost half voted for a far-right anti-immigration guy. Surely you'd think they learned from history :facepalm:

:grin:

So you're in denial about missing Taiwan already? You only just got back into the UK!

Ha. I didn't even realise I'd set up up like that. Shows how much I've been paying attention since I got back (7 months ago!)

Oh and (surprisingly?) I don't seem to be missing Taiwan at all. Very glad to be back here (though that's very much helped by having been lucky enough to find a job I like). Don't get me wrong--Taiwan was very interesting, for a while, but after 12 years I'd more than had enough. Not in a hurry to go back there at all, even for a visit.

Where da Euros at?

Out the back destroying the last remnants of the actual garden the previous owner left.

Over the past 3 summers ive slowly claimed back civilisation from.nature and in the near future the shocking and gaudy plants and foliage will have completely gone, replaced by a low key classy piss up space :grin:

Back