Rest up.....the Perseids are coming, the Persieds are coming!

Carol and I are going to an event at a local orchard/brewery. The event is much too early for the shower, but I'm too old to stay up for the peak of it.

Not typically dark enough here. NE for me means looking towards SF/Oakland. The darkest skies are SW (over the ocean). Occasionally I'll see meteors but not enough to lose sleep over :Wave:

Man I would be all over it, but I can't take Thursday off from work. I've missed too much work lately from stupid health issues.

Maybe I'll find some way to make it work...

Saw another on my drive to work this morning. Not really planning on being out tonight, but I guess we'll see when the kiddos go to bed. Sometimes I'm exhausted, and other times I don't want to sleep. 4:30 comes awful early if I'm up much later than 11, though.

Hard to see through the clouds... but I had a break tonight in just the right spot and saw a few faint ones.

Seeing a lot here in Idaho when I have time to go look. Just have to look up and wait. Generally less than a minute right now.

EDIT: Ok, maybe more than a minute sometimes. But still. And the Milky Way looks great tonight! The light smoke from distant fires in other states cleared tonight.

Last edited:
Turned out to be mostly cloudy down here. I feel bad for other observers in the area that were trying, but at least I don't have to feel bad that I couldn't participate. :tongue:

It's been pretty cloudy here as well. Truth be told, I've been so tired, I haven't been able to stay up at night to even look for them.

:(

I suck.

Carol and I went to an event last night that was a benefit for a local educational center. We saw a few of them, one of the best was seen as we were walking through the dark parking lot trying to find the car.

Saw a great smoky fireball roll by as I was getting my camera set up :mad:

Once I got shooting, I captured two faint ones, and at least as many airplanes. :facepalm:

perseid-1.jpg

perseid-2.jpg

The color difference is because I just did a few quick levels iterations in PS, not my camera. :embarrassed:

Nice, Punchy.

I have some meteor shots from the '98 Leonids...I'll try to remember to post them sometime. We tried our best to count them and got up to well over 1000 that night.

Nice. I took the dog out about 11:30. I was looking north thinking maybe I'd get lucky and a pretty bright one flashed across a 1/3 of the sky before burning out. It had to be bright to see it. I stayed out for another 15 minutes and didn't see anything else which is more like what I expected

Nice. I took the dog out about 11:30. I was looking north thinking maybe I'd get lucky and a pretty bright one flashed across a 1/3 of the sky before burning out. It had to be bright to see it. I stayed out for another 15 minutes and didn't see anything else which is more like what I expected

Depending on which part of the South Bay you're in, we're just a little over 2 hours east of ya, if you ever feel like getting some darker skies. And there's camping space. :grin:

Thanks for the offer...though I haven't gone camping in years....I'm not sure I have the equipment anymore :P

One day maybe I will take you up on it.

Back