Ressurecting Old Threads

Should folks start a new thread on a topic or find and respond to an older thread on the topic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
I was just popping in to HC's Acoustic Forum (kinda like visiting someone in the cemetery) and there is a discussion about people bringing back old threads, and how they should just start new ones. I also remember, when I first starting visiting forums, that the frequent message was, "there is already a thread about that from last year, you should reply to that." Seems kinda hard to win.

How do the Denizens of Weindom feel about this issue? Public poll included.

depends.

gratuitous thread resurrections are annoying as hell.

bringing back a thread that's a month old to renew a conversation, not so much.

noobs bringing back 5 year old threads (see HC), annoying as hell

Seems to me, reduce, re-use, recycle is a good policy. And also, there can be some information shared previously that is currently relevant. To me, it is efficient and useful to resurrect the old threads.

But I also have experienced @Tralfaz 's concern as well. :)

I don't have a problem with new threads.

I don't have a problem with old threads.

I have bigger problems, and I try my very best not to sweat the small stuff.

I don't see it being done on this forum.

if an old thread pops up, it's usually relevant somehow, and the thread participants are still contributing members.

nothing like adding a comment or wisdom or a witty bon mot, only to realize the OP hasn't been seen nor heard for years.

I agree that resurrecting threads just for the sake of resurrection isn't a good thing. Like frunobulax and Tralfaz noted, it's kind of annoying when you didn't notice that it's a resurrected thread, and you post a comment trying to help the OP, only to realize that it not really relevant anymore. Now, if there is an old informational thread, and there is some good information that can be added to the thread, then I think it's a good thing, because internet surfers can stumble across the new information.

f1dfda25d2f143f2b6f3a2f20c9ff3f9a4ef27188496dd43f083736c52e8559b.jpg

Reactions: Tig
Threads should be resurrected if there is a follow up. Better yet, start a new one and just link back to the old one.

Granted what constitutes an old thread time wise?

I also remember, when I first starting visiting forums, that the frequent message was, "there is already a thread about that from last year, you should reply to that.

I've often gotten that as well and never understood the thinking behind it. Given the redundancy of the topics discussed on most forums it seems to me that there are threads from last year about almost everything. If we all followed that suggestion there would be no new threads.

Last edited:
I really don't care. I like the old threads getting bumped sometimes but by the same toke who cares if a new one is started?

Back