Resisting GAS - an ongoing series

There's nothing manly about keeping an instrument in a case because you have no time to either play it or differentiate it from the sea of instruments already flooding the apartment.

I don't think it matters as long as you're playing something on a daily basis. I kind of go on carousel practice binges. Last time was ukulele, right now it's mandolin.

GAS is a cruel mistress. and whenever i think i have it under control, it finds a new way to get at me. it's like any other addiction really - i have a goal set in my mind, take things day by day, try to avoid as many blatant triggers as i can, forgive myself when i stumble and then get back on track. i've been successfully shrinking the collection for the past couple of years. more to go, but any progress is good progress.

Just be glad most of you guys don't play several instruments. Or haven't yet been cursed by the demons of home studio recording. :embarrassed:
At any given time there will be bad GAS for all sorts of stuff..

Just be glad most of you guys don't play several instruments. Or haven't yet been cursed by the demons of home studio recording. :embarrassed:
At any given time there will be bad GAS for all sorts of stuff..

+1

Guitarists don't know how good they have it.

"Another one?! Don't you think that two grand pianos are enough? I don't get it. Would the floor support that?"

It's not about finding time to play. It's about purchasing another instrument to add to the pile. I've got what I want. Why add unnecessarily?
I'm with you. Although I still buy and sell a lot, my overall number of guitars has been shrinking for years. I only hang onto guitars that I love, and almost all of them do something (in theory) that the others don't. Of course, in actual practice, I could do anything that I needed to with one electric and one acoustic, but I like having a few options.

If I want it to sound more like an LP, I can hit the series setting on the 4 way switch, or just turn down the treble.

Will it sound the same? Of course not. Will it matter? Not at all.

So I picked up my Telecaster and played it.

GAS over.

Let's not forget that the guitar solo in Stairway To Heaven was played on a Telecaster. Half of Hotel California too.

211201S14060180-front-large.jpg

211201S14060180-angle-large.jpg

$399

eek2

The guitar player in my power pop band brought this to rehearsal last week:

Ventilator-large.jpg

It's fantastic and sounds exactly how a guitarist would want a leslie sim to sound. There's a new version out that's $500 MAP. Of course, I've been going nvts about it.

I actually have some time to play guitar and just have fun today. So I hauled out my Foxrox Paradox thru-zero flanger and started messing with the controls. No, it does not sound exactly like a leslie. But the wide range of controls allow you to dial in about as good a faux-leslie sound as any flanger will allow you to get. And since I already spent $400 on in a dozen years ago, no need to buy something else I don't need.

Also, my Subdecay Quasar DLX does a pretty nice Univibe sim. I came back from two weeks of not teaching due to holidays and one of my students was learning "Breath in the Air" from the sub. I've never played it before and started with that pedal trying to get the leslie sound. It never made it, but I'll take a Univibe too. So I also have that going for me.

I have perfect pitch, so I near really thought I had any need for a tuner...

But my brother-in-law showed me the iStrobeSoft app for iPhone and iPad. It's expensive - $10 basic plus up to $60 or so for all of the various special features, which most musicians wouldn't be interested in.

But it's an excellent tuner, and can do a lot stuff that the ears simply can't do.

I accepted GAS is incurable. Thankfully I rarely have a lot of money available, so I learned to live with it

Is this a self-help group? My name is Bob and I'm a guitaraholic. I want one of those MIM nitrocellulose Fender 50's classic player 60th anniversary strats (y'know, the one in desert sand with an anodyzed gold pickguard) and I have absolutely no need of this -- having a perfectly serviceable 2013 MIM FSR strat.

Is this a self-help group? My name is Bob and I'm a guitaraholic. I want one of those MIM nitrocellulose Fender 50's classic player 60th anniversary strats (y'know, the one in desert sand with an anodyzed gold pickguard) and I have absolutely no need of this -- having a perfectly serviceable 2013 MIM FSR strat.

It's like Fight Club. I started it for myself and people just kinda wandered in wanting to beat themselves up.

Back