Resisting GAS - an ongoing series

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
I wandered over to the TGP classifieds, as I am wont to do, and found a killer deal on an Edwards Jr. And that rush of WANT instantly washed over me. Then I remembered I actually wanted the double pickup singlecut version. So I checked out the Edwards site and they don't make it anymore.

Finally, I remembered that i actually own a Fender Telecaster and if I want a hardtail with single coils, I can just play that. If I want it to sound more like an LP, I can hit the series setting on the 4 way switch, or just turn down the treble.

Will it sound the same? Of course not. Will it matter? Not at all.

So I picked up my Telecaster and played it.

GAS over.

I finally cured my GAS by getting enough guitars and basses to cover all of the tunings I play in. At some point after the student loans are paid off I might upgrade, but otherwise I’m cool.

But I’ll still put stuff on my Amazon wish list in November. That got me a Corsair with a matching case in 2012.

I finally cured my GAS by getting enough guitars and basses to cover all of the tunings I play in. At some point after the student loans are paid off I might upgrade, but otherwise I’m cool.

I have my Tele, KWC Ibanez, Stella, Dano Convertible, and Dano baritone all in different tunings. I think I'm set now.

lol.

The PRS, Ibanez, Ric, and Taylor are all in standard.

keatoneyeroll.gif

Interesting topic. I go through this a lot. I know... Not shocking. But I do actually curb my gas more. I've been gassing for a 7 string lately, but I keep reminding myself that I don't really need it. I get along with them fine but I really just don't need it.

I wandered over to the TGP classifieds, as I am wont to do, and found a killer deal on an Edwards Jr. And that rush of WANT instantly washed over me. Then I remembered I actually wanted the double pickup singlecut version. So I checked out the Edwards site and they don't make it anymore.

Finally, I remembered that i actually own a Fender Telecaster and if I want a hardtail with single coils, I can just play that. If I want it to sound more like an LP, I can hit the series setting on the 4 way switch, or just turn down the treble.

Will it sound the same? Of course not. Will it matter? Not at all.

So I picked up my Telecaster and played it.

GAS over.

Dude... These are all excuses... Listen to Terry... MAN UP!

Before we retired my wife worked in optometry. At one point I owned 30 pairs of glasses and I found that I only wore the pair I liked best. The rest stayed in the drawer. Every time I think that I need another guitar all I have to do is think about the 7 or 8 that I just had to have at the time and are now sitting in cases doing nothing.

I am relatively new to guitars and due to financial constraints my GAS has been tempered by my wife's hatred of all things guitar ( I like metal, grunge, etc...while she likes country).

Recently I received a small amount of the small inheritance from my mother's estate. I saw the Epi Les Paul Special with the P90's on sale a GC for 89 bucks. Showed my wife and, of course, she resisted. I got the money from mom (She and my wife never got along very well) and thought: "Mom liked doing frivolous things with extra money, she would approve of me buying the guitar."

I did. I love it, wife hates it. All is good in the household and my GAS is appeased for a bit.

I keep telling myself that any guitar I buy has to be able to do something my other guitars can't. Then I see something I like and that rule goes out the fucking window.

That's been my rule for a long time. There've been exceptions on account of my wife being like "Christmas is coming up and he likes new instruments...". But yeah, it's a good rule.

Back