Rescue Guitar - Update: It's Going Back

Nice. I bought in Alvarez a year so ago to replace a taylor. I have absolutely no regrets. It sounds better plays better and I she looks a lot nicer than the taylor did.

Enjoy. Have a great time with it

Thanks mystixboi1, and I'm sure I will.

I admit that I'm kind of going back to my roots, because 15 years ago a friend gave me an Alvarez RD10 as I was getting ready to go to seminary. She told me that if I worked with kids, I would need to play the guitar. I learned to play on that guitar, and now it's in the hands of my son. I tried to like Taylors, Martins, and Guilds, but none of them did it for me. My 2 favorite guitar makers are Takamine and Alvarez. One day I might run into a Taylor I really like, but for the money, I think Takamine and Alvarez give a great bang for the buck. My favorite part of the Alvarez Artist series guitars is the satin neck. I haven't checked, so I don't know if other of their lines get this treatment, but for me, the satin neck makes any guitar a joy to play.

I am concerned, after adjusting the truss rod to stop the string buzz, there was still one last intermittant annoying buzz. I found it at the 10th fret on the 6th string. When I fretted there I couldn't stop the buzz no matter where I placed my finger. I'm not sure whether this might be a simple fix, or whether I just need to send the guitar back. I do know that if I had someone thry to fix it, I couldn't send the guitar back if it didn't fix the problem.

Thoughts?

I am concerned, after adjusting the truss rod to stop the string buzz, there was still one last intermittant annoying buzz. I found it at the 10th fret on the 6th string. When I fretted there I couldn't stop the buzz no matter where I placed my finger. I'm not sure whether this might be a simple fix, or whether I just need to send the guitar back. I do know that if I had someone thry to fix it, I couldn't send the guitar back if it didn't fix the problem.

Thoughts?

Might be a low fret. Is that the only place it buzzes or does it buzz from there on up?

Was it buzzing there before the truss rod adjustment?

Is the action good now or do you want it to go lower?

Might be a low fret. Is that the only place it buzzes or does it buzz from there on up?

The specifically comes from the 10th fret on the low E string. There is no buzz when I fret the 9th, or the 11th. As I initially thought about it, I was thinking that it might just be a fret that needed dressing. After a little more thought, I realized that it was probably as you suggested - a low fret, and I don't know how that could be a simple fix.

Was it buzzing there before the truss rod adjustment?

Yes, there was a lot of buzzing, and it made the guitar sound real thin in it's tone. I thought seriously about just boxing it back up and returning it. That's when I decided to look at the neck relief, and gave it a very slight adjustment. Everything sounded instantly better - except for a very slight buzz. That's when I isolated it. Initially, I thought the fret was high, but then when fretting it, the buzz wouldn't stop.

Is the action good now or do you want it to go lower?

The action was always good, and the truss rod adjustment didn't change that much at all.

Although it's a beautiful guitar, there is a fret buzz at the 8th fret on the high E string, when fretted. After I adjusted the truss the general fret buzz went away, except for the buzz at that 8th fret. I read up on the issue, and found out that the guitar would most likely need a fret leveling, and possibly even a replacement fret at the 8th fret. I also am not sure, but the guitar should have had D'Addario EXP coated strings on it, but the strings that are on it now do not feel like coated string, so they might have been changed before the last "restock."

So, it's just easier to send it back. I called yesterday, and I will receieve another one in exchange - another restock, and I will go over it with a fine tooth comb. If that one doesn't work out, I'll be done with it. I wouldn't bother with it, but the Alvarez AD60CE was borrowed by someone who is wanting to begin playing (my chiropractor), and he was thrilled with it. That means there is a high likelihood that I'll end up selling him the guitar to begin his journey. It also means that I'll need another backup to the Takamine Glenn Frey Signature.

Just have to run the package to UPS today.

20150224_105314_zpscd43869d.jpg

Last edited:
Back