Rescue Guitar - Update: It's Going Back

Stratguy

Coffee Junky
So, when the SDOTH had an Alvarez AD70CE Artist Series acoustic-electric for $299, I snuck a peek at the AD90CE that I kept hoping would one day be on the "price drop" list. Lo and behold, there it was, listed at $399 when it usually was going for at least $499 (I checked today, and it was listed at $599). Well, I pulled the trigger last Thursday, and then the rough weather came into town.

It was supposed to be delivered on Monday, but with the snow falling during the wee hours Monday morning, the roads were just too bad for UPS to deliver the guitar. It got rescheduled for Tuesday, but UPS wouldn't roll out yet. It was predicted to dump more snow on Wednesday, so I decided to ask for the guitar to be left at the local Customer Service Warehouse. If I hadn't tried to pick it up today (the weather was turning bad again with more snow on the way) I could see that it probably wouldn't be delivered until at least Monday, if it got delivered before next week's snow storm.

So with a driveway full of ice and snow, I jumped into my 4x4 Explorer and managed to navigate all the icy/snowy roads. Rescue complete!

Here it is in all it's glory:

IMGP9708_zpsb52326ad.jpg
IMGP9715_zps6dbf64fd.jpg

IMGP9716_zps856b3e11.jpg

IMGP9710_zps155431d5.jpg

IMGP9714_zpsd40abe61.jpg

Solid Sitka Spruce top, Acacia Koa laminate back & sides, abalone rosette, abalone dot endpins, pearl design at 12th fret, pearl logo and name on headstock, side dot fret markers, satin finished neck, rosewood bridge and fretboard, bone nut and saddle, B-Band designed SYS 550 preamp. Edit: I forget the 1/4" and XLR inputs.

The good: perfect setup, great feel, beautiful in every detail, without a single blemish. I can't figure out why this was a restock . . . just like my last "restock" Alvarez.

The bad: This might be where the restock came in, as I think about it. The description listed a dual pickup, SYS650 preamp, but it came with an SYS550 preamp, which means it only has a single pickup. I'll have to call the retailer about it tomorrow.

Last edited:
That's purty. I'm not sure I'd sweat the pickup much if it was a deal.

Thanks, and yeah, I'll pretty much ask them about it, but I sure won't press it. Besides, it appears that the 2015 models in this series are all going with the SYS550 preamp instead of the SYS650. Who knows why, but it just may be for the better.

Lo and behold, there it was, listed at $399 when it usually was going for at least $499 (I checked today, and it was listed at $599).

That reminds me—sometimes if you look up gear on Google it will return a link to MF with a crazy deep discount. I think they’re doing this to get sales without pissing off manufacturers by advertising prices far below official street prices.

Nice. I bought in Alvarez a year so ago to replace a taylor. I have absolutely no regrets. It sounds better plays better and I she looks a lot nicer than the taylor did.

Enjoy. Have a great time with it

Back