Remember when riding your bike meant something!!!

We didn't have that kind of money so we had to modify my bike by replacing the handle bars and adding the banana seat just to be cool.

i had one of those expensive schwinn sting rays when they came out in like 1964....banana seat.....5 speed stick shift....the whole thing. it was the model that came out BEFORE the "crate" sting rays. i was the talk of the block for a while.

later when i was like 12....i bought a cheap sting ray....got a couple of peices of aluminum tubing.....flattened one end of each....drilled the flattened end for the size of the front axle and jammed the round ends onto the end of the existing forks......instant chopper.....EVERYONE wanted to ride that thing. it wasn't a real pretty job. i spray painted the aluminum tubes to match the existing forks....but it still had a bit of a "rat bike" look to it. :grin:

Yep and yep, did the same thing. Learned that aluminum was nice and light, but not a good idea if you liked to jump stuff.

I grew up on bmx bikes. I could ride a wheelie for 200 yards, do a 360 degree bunny hop, all that stuff. Never got on a half pipe, though I did try to build one out of some spare lumber in our garage.

I still love to ride, but I'm not near as good, or courageous as I used to be.

that was pretty insane. For me clipping and unclipping can be a major adventure :P. I've done the tail slides before but most of the time while avoiding an accident...most notably with a Mercedes SUV that didn't seen the need to stop for the bike doing 30mph which she was at the stop sign...even my blinking light can't help if you don't look :mad:

Back