Remember those First Act VW Garage Masters?

That's what I figure too. I've asked for a time to meet her. She said she got it as a promotion and it's never been out of the case. The tricky part will be sneaking it into the house. :grin:
I used to feel the same way that I would need to hide or sneak one in. Now the wife has gotten used to the fact that I'm going to buy them and she doesn't say anything anymore except "You don't have any more room to put that". Oh, and the last one was an LP.

I used to feel the same way that I would need to hide or sneak one in. Now the wife has gotten used to the fact that I'm going to buy them and she doesn't say anything anymore except "You don't have any more room to put that". Oh, and the last one was an LP.

Nobody even really notices a new guitar in my house anymore. So they come and go around here. I do get shit from my family however if I buy a guitar that I do not play.

Never seen one of the Garagemasters in person. Went through 3 of the Lolas, and 1 Shenna. Had lots of fun with the Lolas. The Shenna is the one guitar that is still stock, except for pots, and the crappy switch they put in it.

You're in Albuquerque! I saw that, too .... let's start a bidding war. LOL.

I really like that guitar; if you lose interest, let me know/post here.

There has been one that has popped up on my local CL for the last few years. It started at like 250, and I think it is down to around 150 now. I'd buy it if it ever hit 60 bucks.

You're in Albuquerque! I saw that, too .... let's start a bidding war. LOL.

I really like that guitar; if you lose interest, let me know/post here.
I'm not in Albuquerque, I'm in Maryland. If there's one in Albuquerque, go for it!

This one is still tempting me, but I don't think I'll be able to make it by her place before Monday. If she sells it over the weekend, c'est la vie. It'll just be another one that got away.

Now wondering if there's a scam afoot; the one in ABQ says "almost new, barely used" and listing for $70.

That's a helluva coincidence, doncha think?

Have a crab leg for me, hon.

Now wondering if there's a scam afoot; the one in ABQ says "almost new, barely used" and listing for $70.

That's a helluva coincidence, doncha think?

Have a crab leg for me, hon.

Bad year for crabs this year...they're small and pricey. That guitar is cheaper than a bushel of wimpy crabs.

I doubt it's a scam. Probably just a coincidence. You have to figure a lot of folks that bought VW's back then weren't guitar players and just tossed them in their closet. I don't think anyone would get rich scamming First Act guitars. :shrug:

Bad year for crabs this year...they're small and pricey. That guitar is cheaper than a bushel of wimpy crabs.

I doubt it's a scam. Probably just a coincidence. You have to figure a lot of folks that bought VW's back then weren't guitar players and just tossed them in their closet. I don't think anyone would get rich scamming First Act guitars. :shrug:

So then, a very good year for imitation crab meat?

Went over to her house at lunch and pulled the trigger. Definitely worth the money. This is not a Walmart First Act. She got it new with her car and the guitar has been in the gig bag ever since. It's basically brand new. Looking forward to giving it a spin tonight after work.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it came with a pretty nice gig bag too. Fairy heavy canvas type material with a VW logo embroidered about midway up the neck. :thu:

Last edited:
Between running out of gas and dealing with a stubborn lawn tractor, I didn't get done with the yard until almost 9:embarrassed:0. I didn't have much time to mess with the Garage Master, but here's my quick first impression.

Specs:
Material Poplar
Neck Satin finished maple
Fretboard Rosewood
Fret count 22
Scale length 25 in.
Nut width 1 11/16 in.
Pickup configuration 2 Alnico V humbuckers
Weight 7lbs.
Overall Length 38 in.
Width 12 3/4 in.
Electronics Volume control, tone control, 9-volt amp-modeling circuit, master volume control, distortion/clean switch, high boost/cut switch, preamp on/off switch, three-way pickup selector toggle switch

The Good: I believe that she never took this thing out of the gig bag. It looks brand new. No dings or scratches, not so much as a fingerprint/smudge on the pick guard. The pickups are Alinco V and are quite articulate. They sound really nice with a clean/slight OD amp setting. These guitars came with an onboard pre-amp which is powered by a 9V battery accessed by a little door on the back. The controls for this are On/Off with an output volume knob, a mid-cut switch and a OD/Distortion On/Off switch. When the pre-amp is on, there's a little blue LED in the pickguard that illuminates to let you know it's on. The distortion function sounded a bit fizzy to me, but I really didn't mess with it too much. I believe this was included so that you could plug the guitar into your new VW's radio aux port and rock out. I wonder how many folks actually did that. :shrug: In clean mode, it gave just a hint of gain, which I liked better. As good as the pickups sound by themselves, I have a feeling I won't use the preamp much, but we'll see.

The neck is supposed to be two piece maple from online descriptions. I'll be damned if I can find a seam in it anywhere. It even has a little flame in it. Unfortunately it doesn't show up in the crappy basement cell phone pics.

A few years ago I bought one of the Sheenas from First Act when they decided to get out of the mid-level instrument (~$300-$400 range) business and focus only on mass producing beginner/Walmart and high end custom shop items. They blew them, along with Delias and Lolas for $100. I wish I'd have gotten one of each back then. I only mention this because there are similarities between the two. I think the pickups are of the same vintage along with the string-thru tailpiece and TOM bridge design. The bridge is clever in that the adjustment screws are offset from the strings, making it very easy to adjust with the strings in place.

The Bad:
The fretboard is very dry. I'll have to get some oil on it pronto. There are a few frets that could use some TLC...not sure if they're just sharp or if there's a little sprout going on. The latter wouldn't surprise me as dry as the board is. Intonation is just a tad off, but sounded pretty close and would be hard to detect without a tuner. That's easily remedied as is the slightly high action. The VW control knobs look like metal, but are plastic and don't feel very durable. I might replace them with some speed knobs.

Overall, I'm happy with it, especially for $60. My original intention was to get a beater to set up for slide, but I'm thinking I might give it a proper setup and see how it plays first.

Here ya go, some fuzzy cell phone pics.

NdxGepXH9vTuPyd0dNGVjjyZ2xhN6sTkcw00jH89Ry4=w609-h811-no

With the preamp on and the blue light.
R7CCBuji2RC2rxjt08AVt6P-asiUCJMREK6Vetn_Ah8=w609-h811-no

sAfAH5DzjQDGlJAgDt-kTydxWHofO-1nuLPak_AGImY=w609-h811-no

The First Act sisters.
Y_pt-NxrGFw69xMUmtSUpZChXlJisy1-J_dCDwiebxA=w609-h811-no

Last edited:
Back