Remember the Hellcat's "600+" HP projection?

Your monthly insurance payment will be higher than the car payment!

The thing about extra power is how useable (traction) it is. That's where Porsche excels all the way back to the old 959's in the late 80's. Very little tire spin spread out over 4 tires equals incredible launching and acceleration from any speed.

The thing about extra power is how useable (traction) it is. That's where Porsche excels all the way back to the old 959's in the late 80's. Very little tire spin spread out over 4 tires equals incredible launching and acceleration from any speed.
There will be two keys, one for 500 hp and one for 707hp. I font think traction will be as much of an issue as you might think. With launch control, and modern tires it should be manageable. Looks like a lot of fun to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that the average buyer of a factory 700+ HP challenger wants to be able to turn off all the DSC, TC, LC, whatever and light 'em up a will. Leave some or all of those computer driving aids on and I'm inclined to agree with Rev that it's probably pretty manageable for the average ham fisted/footed of us.

Tire rack is probably going to do pretty well in the next few years :wink:

Even with the nannies on it is possible to break loose even with 505 HP (ask me how I know :wink:)
Of course it's possible, but I was getting at the fact that even with 707 hp the car will not be undrivable. I would think that with a mild amount of restraint you could get her hook up.

Of course it's possible, but I was getting at the fact that even with 707 hp the car will not be undrivable. I would think that with a mild amount of restraint you could get her hook up.

I totally agree with you. It's all about throttle control, but sometimes you can get caught off guard. It's happened to me a couple of times, but fortunately I didn't get too out of shape (I'm sure the nannies saved my ass too) before I could recover. It took a long time for me to build up the confidence to turn off the traction control, but now that I know my car well enough I do it on a regular basis, and it certainly makes the car more fun to drive.

Having driven the stock SRT8 on some windy, back country roads... I find the prospect of this thing to be truly terrifying.

It might be a great 1/4 mile car, but beyond that, it is too big and massive to make use of that power in the twisties.

One trick pony with a death wish.

Having driven the stock SRT8 on some windy, back country roads... I find the prospect of this thing to be truly terrifying.

It might be a great 1/4 mile car, but beyond that, it is too big and massive to make use of that power in the twisties.

Chicken! :embarrassed:

IIRC the Nationwide series NASCARs are running around 650- 700 HP, so this particular car is putting out about the same HP as the lower tier NASCAR. That is a lot of power for a street car.

The specs indicate substantial tweaking of the suspension and various other parts and pieces.

It's all about throttle control

Now, I'm not claiming to be a race car driver or anything like that but I have had some limited instruction & opportunities to drive on closed courses at (and a few times beyond) vehicle limits. This is a concept lost on many; your steering, brake and throttle inputs, especially as you approach the limits of traction/grip, are what make all the difference....150 HP or 707 HP, dip too deep at the wrong time and you pay the price. Granted, high power generally makes these inputs require more precision and narrows that window of where the limits lie.

"Nevertheless, whether its relatively easy to control or not, the introduction of 5 hp too much at the right point, and you may as well have an extra 900."
http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_braking

Now, I'm not claiming to be a race car driver or anything like that but I have had some limited instruction & opportunities to drive on closed courses at (and a few times beyond) vehicle limits. This is a concept lost on many; your steering, brake and throttle inputs, especially as you approach the limits of traction/grip, are what make all the difference....150 HP or 707 HP, dip too deep at the wrong time and you pay the price. Granted, high power generally makes these inputs require more precision and narrows that window of where the limits lie.

"Nevertheless, whether its relatively easy to control or not, the introduction of 5 hp too much at the right point, and you may as well have an extra 900."
http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_braking

As they say, the most important mod you can make to your car is the driver mod.

I would hope, like chevy did with the ZR-1, that they build in HPDE courses and track time into the purchase for the car.

umm, small correction.....the Hellcat brings 45 more HP than the STANDARD GT 500 Shelby.....not the Super Snake options. the upper limit on the Super Snake options is just slightly over ONE THOUSAND horsepower.....just sayin' :rolleyes:

As they say, the most important mod you can make to your car is the driver mod.

I would hope, like chevy did with the ZR-1, that they build in HPDE courses and track time into the purchase for the car.
It's pretty shocking when you take your car to a class, do a lap... then let an instructor do a lap driving you car. Shocking might not be the best description, it's pretty humbling or even disgusting. :eek: it really drives that point home.

Yep, exactly this. I drove the Hemi8 version with the manual shifter and while a great 0-60 car, the prospect of taking this on anything resembling a back-road is going to lead to a lot of smashed metal and torn-up trees. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Even with the nannies on it is possible to break loose even with 505 HP (ask me how I know :wink:)
I used to light up the tires on my '86 Firebird with the 145hp LG4 5.0L. LOL That still wasn't enough so I built a budget 350 that put out at least 300hp.

The Shelby SuperSnake still beats this at 850hp, but I didn't read the article yet so I dunno how they compare on price.

Back