reitze trolls a troll

I would love to know how you get into trouble. You are one of the most even mannered folks online that I know. :)

Hi Mark, thanks. IDK perhapse a Jesus-syndrom (truth=scary-so-kill)? some sort of jellosy/envy? vested interests in status quo? change resistance? I don't mean that religiously but intellectually/socially/analytically.

If I have any guilt it appears my technically sound posts are considered off-topic spam. I'm certain they were't really spam in a technical sense but from perception of their members who are mostly non-technical artists who murder the logic presented to them "kill em... nice ass!..." Having taken on their shut up I wanna see pretty requests with more on-topic truth was arguing rationally with the irrational.

And there were others who must have wished I'd been even more aggressive with that tact - like "bump for more Powergutiar spam". Another motive to increase technical content while they irrationally want something else and bitch about it is that I don't feel like shutting up per instruction of co-forum member is appropriate to give flames that sort of reward. And sure irrational forums exist all over for fashion applied to nearly everything. EG: what makes a PRS better than my $78 Averez? Ok I'm pushing it on that one. But the point is when the mods back flames they reward breaking their own rules so basically they don't have any real rules over there.

For what it's worth from what I've seen it's the SEMI-TECHNICAL blogs that are the worst. Like TGP and HCAF, I've seen a similar mess in automotive topic-blogs. Once you get fully over to fashion then it's just about that. But with autos, guitars, stuff like that its still a mix of fashion/technical and for those topics to fit together into a single forum it's my impression that it takes aggressive admonition to flamers by nearly everyone (like here and thanks for that) so that fashion is in fashion threads and technical is in technical threads. Once that works out the forum should be great for everyone. And I don't think I'm the only one saying there's something special about MWGF. So I'm speculating this is a big part of that success. Please do educate if I'm missing something so I may continue choosing my battles with increasing effectiveness - thanks.

Whatever it is its appreciated here. Thanks Mark.

Last edited:
Hi Mark, thanks. IDK perhapse a Jesus-syndrom (truth=scary-so-kill)? some sort of jellosy/envy? vested interests in status quo? change resistance? I don't mean that religiously but intellectually/socially/analytically.

If I have any guilt it appears my technically sound posts are considered off-topic spam. I'm certain they were't really spam in a technical sense but from perception of their members who are mostly non-technical artists who murder the logic presented to them "kill em... nice ass!..." Having taken on their shut up I wanna see pretty requests with more on-topic truth was arguing rationally with the irrational.

And there were others who must have wished I'd been even more aggressive with that tact - like "bump for more Powergutiar spam". Another motive to increase technical content while they irrationally want something else and bitch about it is that I don't feel like shutting up per instruction of co-forum member is appropriate to give flames that sort of reward. And sure irrational forums exist all over for fashion applied to nearly everything. EG: what makes a PRS better than my $78 Averez? Ok I'm pushing it on that one. But the point is when the mods back flames they reward breaking their own rules so basically they don't have any real rules over there.

For what it's worth from what I've seen it's the SEMI-TECHNICAL blogs that are the worst. Like TGP and HCAF, I've seen a similar mess in automotive topic-blogs. Once you get fully over to fashion then it's just about that. But with autos, guitars, stuff like that its still a mix of fashion/technical and for those topics to fit together into a single forum it's my impression that it takes aggressive admonition to flamers by nearly everyone (like here and thanks for that) so that fashion is in fashion threads and technical is in technical threads. Once that works out the forum should be great for everyone. And I don't think I'm the only one saying there's something special about MWGF. So I'm speculating this is a big part of that success. Please do educate if I'm missing something so I may continue choosing my battles with increasing effectiveness - thanks.

you're missing the fact that Mark was responding to Brian Krashpad, not you.

:tinfoil:

As usual Help!I'maRock! is correct :embarrassed:

OOPS looks like Mark wasn't complimenting me but rather Brian. Hope I'm perceived OK too.

Flame-hate = a forum killer EG: Automotive blog experience.

BTW, about 10 years back I searched about doing valves on an engine and wound up in an automotive forum. At first there were some helpful info but seemed hostile to those offering it.

Whenever someone talked about how to do something there were a few there who constantly put them down while holding up some impossible and expensive technique as though the other person were crazy. The ordinary folks mostly lerked and occaisionally offered inadequate counter-ballance.

I really saw it go south when I described how I did a valve job myself with a drill and grit (it worked). Some went ballistic and the forum became shit from my perspective. I left after someone else took up the cause talking about the history of automotive maintenance in the process and how farmers did exactly what reitze did with their model As and Ts. I've never gone back either.

Sad for the rest of the peps there who could have enjoyed a better forum. I would have enjoyed telling stories of my backyard mechanics. But in a forum of dealership/pro's with attitudes it became not worth it.

So what gives? Why didn't such an automotive-forum have threads on both without haters crossing the lines? And why do dealership mechanics have such hatred toward backyard mechanics?

I guess some things we'll never know, and some we may figure out.

My father-in-law was a dealership mechanic for many years before opening his own shop. He hated working on Saturdays because that was when the "backyard" or "shade tree" mechanics would bring their cars in for him to fix their mistakes.

These days you also need quite a bit of education to be a dealership mechanic...cars aren't (relatively) simple machines anymore. The difference between my 1965 Chevy Truck and 2002 Suburban (which occupy the same basic platform within their respective model years) is radical.

BTW, about 10 years back I searched about doing valves on an engine and wound up in an automotive forum. At first there were some helpful info but seemed hostile to those offering it.

Whenever someone talked about how to do something there were a few there who constantly put them down while holding up some impossible and expensive technique as though the other person were crazy. The ordinary folks mostly lerked and occaisionally offered inadequate counter-ballance.

I really saw it go south when I described how I did a valve job myself with a drill and grit (it worked). Some went ballistic and the forum became shit from my perspective. I left after someone else took up the cause talking about the history of automotive maintenance in the process and how farmers did exactly what reitze did with their model As and Ts. I've never gone back either.

Sad for the rest of the peps there who could have enjoyed a better forum. I would have enjoyed telling stories of my backyard mechanics. But in a forum of dealership/pro's with attitudes it became not worth it.

So what gives? Why didn't such an automotive-forum have threads on both without haters crossing the lines? And why do dealership mechanics have such hatred toward backyard mechanics?

I guess some things we'll never know, and some we may figure out.

people want to talk about what they bought, not what they made. there's no "keeping up with the Joneses" involved when you build or mod something. but if you buy it, that means everybody can be jealous of you.

professionals hate DIYers because it takes money out of their pockets. you passing on the information might cause somebody else to do the mod or repair themself, taking more money out of their pocket.

people want to talk about what they bought, not what they made. there's no "keeping up with the Joneses" involved when you build or mod something. but if you buy it, that means everybody can be jealous of you.
professionals hate DIYers because it takes money out of their pockets. you passing on the information might cause somebody else to do the mod or repair themself, taking more money out of their pocket.

Most "professionals" I've known were't like those in that forum. Many professional mechanic friends have enjoyed discussions of projects with me. So it's not professionals but rather those who were on that forum (a subset). And in that context taking more $ out of their pocket is another lie... rather keeping it in the pocket of the person who needs a valve job or whatever. That's not hurting the mechanic its helping someone who has a problem and would otherwise fall victim to such a dishonest mechanic. Many good mechanics tell DIY'rs truthful things while in return we bring our business among our wider set of friends to them.

I don't think it has to be a choice between talk with DIY'ers or Jonesers either. I can appreciate a nice air-brush paint job like anyone even if I can't afford it (though I may prefer diff theme than on whatever car).

Meanwhile all those bully attitudes haven't stopped any real DIYers. Perhapse one half-baked somewhere that would bring them a mess? IDK you'd think they'd like that one???

My father-in-law was a dealership mechanic for many years before opening his own shop. He hated working on Saturdays because that was when the "backyard" or "shade tree" mechanics would bring their cars in for him to fix their mistakes.

These days you also need quite a bit of education to be a dealership mechanic...cars aren't (relatively) simple machines anymore. The difference between my 1965 Chevy Truck and 2002 Suburban (which occupy the same basic platform within their respective model years) is radical.

That's interesting.
My grandfather built/owned a transportation company with >180 busses and quite a number of other vehicles. I learned to weld in my grandfathers bus garage when I was a kid. Those mechanics were DIY'rs themselves. I suspect there's some greater rift among mechanics at large. What maybe relevant here is that most of us are late to catch on to whatever rift that was.

I hope your father inlaw's shop worked out well. :thu Was/is it a dealership or repair-only?

Most "professionals" I've known were't like those in that forum.

it takes a certain kinda person to go seek out discussion forums. i don't think most people want to be bothered

Many professional mechanic friends have enjoyed discussions of projects with me. So it's not professionals but rather those who were on that forum (a subset).

friends. we tend to make friends with people who hold similar mindsets to us. especially professionally. and those friends are more likely to share their ideas with you. because they're friends. not some dude on the internet.

And in that context taking more $ out of their pocket is another lie... rather keeping it in the pocket of the person who needs a valve job or whatever. That's not hurting the mechanic its helping someone who has a problem and would otherwise fall victim to such a dishonest mechanic.

well that's the perspective of the DIYer, not the mechanic. i agree with you. but that doesn't make the other point of view any less valid.

I don't think it has to be a choice between talk with DIY'ers or Jonesers either. I can appreciate a nice air-brush paint job like anyone even if I can't afford it (though I may prefer diff theme than on whatever car).

Meanwhile all those bully attitudes haven't stopped any real DIYers. Perhapse one half-baked somewhere that would bring them a mess? IDK you'd think they'd like that one???

it doesn't have to be a choice though that's usually what happens. you get the do-ers and the spectators. the vast majority are spectators. and that gets back to why the guitar market is a fashion show. because people want the guitar that Jimmy Page played and then they want to spend their time learning songs that Jimmy Page wrote and recorded. they're not necessarily into creating something for themselves.

personally, i fall somewhere in the middle. i want what i want and i'll spend the money to make sure i do it right so that i can be creative. but i don't have the ability or the desire to build it for myself. i want to plug in, wiggle my fingers, and create something that's hopefully unique.

That's interesting.
My grandfather built/owned a transportation company with >180 busses and quite a number of other vehicles. I learned to weld in my grandfathers bus garage when I was a kid. Those mechanics were DIY'rs themselves. I suspect there's some greater rift among mechanics at large. What maybe relevant here is that most of us are late to catch on to whatever rift that was.

I hope your father inlaw's shop worked out well. :thu Was/is it a dealership or repair-only?

He;s still in business 35 years later...they transitioned into building emergency vehicles from auto repair.

it takes a certain kinda person to go seek out discussion forums. i don't think most people want to be bothered

friends. we tend to make friends with people who hold similar mindsets to us. especially professionally. and those friends are more likely to share their ideas with you. because they're friends. not some dude on the internet.

well that's the perspective of the DIYer, not the mechanic. i agree with you. but that doesn't make the other point of view any less valid.

it doesn't have to be a choice though that's usually what happens. you get the do-ers and the spectators. the vast majority are spectators. and that gets back to why the guitar market is a fashion show. because people want the guitar that Jimmy Page played and then they want to spend their time learning songs that Jimmy Page wrote and recorded. they're not necessarily into creating something for themselves.

personally, i fall somewhere in the middle. i want what i want and i'll spend the money to make sure i do it right so that i can be creative. but i don't have the ability or the desire to build it for myself. i want to plug in, wiggle my fingers, and create something that's hopefully unique.
:grin:

:thu:

That peeks my interest most! I get the impression you've been playing way longer and more professionally than me and where you still find the "unique" aspects of appeal... if one only plays alone ... its better than exercise... well that was nice... when it gets late at night this old nylon acoustic is sooo nice. My wife even likes it if she hears it from the bedroom...

There are various forms of technology and nylon string'd acoustics whether plugged in or not are nice in many ways... So are the mathmatic algorithms in those DSP amps with the models. I for one appreciate what Line 6 put out with their Micro and I also appreciate the Vox AC4TV8 and these are home-use things in the projects... what you guys use at home is of interest to peps like me. If ya don't need to play at home I kinda understand cause I was like that with a trumpet once - though never developed an ear for trumpet. Guitar approach intentionally different. Various perspectives of interest here. Thanks again guys... see ya on the 10s' (I made that up last jan for this digital decade). :cool:

So a few of your favorite links to those "unique" aspects of appeal would be a perssonal curiosity if you chose to pass them along. Like Mark's vidoes have been - get to see he's respectable on a variety of venue types.

edit: PS: I saw whats left of that TGP thread and it's definitely tanked in the direction I had pointed it... they've given up on the botique and started speculating all over the Guitar Hero with strings and the variax... lol... there are some small victories in life. :thu

Last edited:
That peeks my interest most! I get the impression you've been playing way longer and more professionally than me and where you still find the "unique" aspects of appeal... if one only plays alone ... its better than exercise... well that was nice... when it gets late at night this old nylon acoustic is sooo nice. My wife even likes it if she hears it from the bedroom...

There are various forms of technology and nylon string'd acoustics whether plugged in or not are nice in many ways... So are the mathmatic algorithms in those DSP amps with the models. I for one appreciate what Line 6 put out with their Micro and I also appreciate the Vox AC4TV8 and these are home-use things in the projects... what you guys use at home is of interest to peps like me. If ya don't need to play at home I kinda understand cause I was like that with a trumpet once - though never developed an ear for trumpet. Guitar approach intentionally different. Various perspectives of interest here. Thanks again guys... see ya on the 10s' (I made that up last jan for this digital decade). :cool:

So a few of your favorite links to those "unique" aspects of appeal would be a perssonal curiosity if you chose to pass them along. Like Mark's vidoes have been - get to see he's respectable on a variety of venue types.

i mostly play at home. i've been playing guitar for 19 years and teaching for half that time. i've been in and out of original projects and i'm just starting a new one. we get to play maybe 3 times a month.

my equipment really has to serve dual functions. it has to be quiet enough that i can plug in and not disturb the neighbors too much at home. but it needs to be able to handle stage duty too. i always turn heads when my 15-20 watt tube amps compete with 300 watt bass amps and hard hitting drummers.

mostly, i play acoustic. i think i'm a better electric player because of it. i've got a steel string Taylor and a nylon string La Patrie and they get the majority of the playing time. i love electric guitars and everything that goes with them. but music is about your interaction with the instrument and the air around you. at home, all the extra stuff really just gets in the way. maybe i'd feel differently if i didn't live in an apartment.

reitze, you missed your calling by 20 years... I present the Synsonics Terminator

post-4521-1244420808.jpg

i mostly play at home. i've been playing guitar for 19 years and teaching f...
my equipment really has to serve dual functions. it has to be quiet enough that i can plug in and not disturb the neighbors too much at home. but it needs to be able to handle stage duty too. i always turn heads when my 15-20 watt tube amps compete with 300 watt bass amps and hard hitting drummers.

mostly, i play acoustic. i think i'm a better electric player because of it. i've got a steel string Taylor and a nylon string La Patrie and they get the majority of the playing time. i love electric guitars and everything that goes with them. but music is about your interaction with the instrument and the air around you. at home, all the extra stuff really just gets in the way. maybe i'd feel differently if i didn't live in an apartment.
Nah that's why I've been mostly acoustic. I learned some electric hanging out with the band I ran sound with and I had one of those original rockman belt-clip-headphone-amps. Nobody ever heard me and I never played much of that stuff since other than what my acousics would allow till just this past year... and not when I bought better amps either cause it still wasn't worth the hastle. I can say that Vox 4W tube amp is worth playing at home - the 2 digital Fenders were'n't/aren't nor was the TubeWorks or the other... anyway yea goes toward the technology insertion concpets where their thread finally went after bashing the truth it was inevitable... or something like that.

reitze, you missed your calling by 20 years... I present the Synsonics Terminator

View attachment 1150

Thanks. Have you seen this site? http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2010/01/when-transistor-radio-was-invented.html Cool stuff lost in history seems mostly because technology wan't mature enough for the radical stuff back then.

anyway yea goes toward the technology insertion concpets where their thread finally went after bashing the truth it was inevitable... or something like that.

i have no idea what you're talking about. :confused:

and don't be mistaken, i do play electric at home. in fact, i just upgraded from a 6 watt Champ to a 15 watt Princeton, primarily for home use. i just can't play all that loud. i'm also not really sitting here bashing away either. i'm usually working on something. could be a new riff or song idea, or it could be the Berklee Method. tonight i've been working on getting back into sight reading. but after a certain hour, the amps go off. then the acoustics get put away and i'll play one of my electric guitars unplugged.

i don't really do headphones unless i'm recording. then i go straight into my computer interface and use Garageband. though the preset sounds never sound the way i want them to. once the songs (and the new band) are ready, i'll book some time in my friend's studio to make sure we do it right.

i have no idea what you're talking about. :confused:

and don't be mistaken, i do play electric at home. in fact, i just upgraded from a 6 watt Champ to a 15 watt Princeton, primarily for home use. i just can't play all that loud. i'm also not really sitting here bashing away either. i'm usually working on something. could be a new riff or song idea, or it could be the Berklee Method. tonight i've been working on getting back into sight reading. but after a certain hour, the amps go off. then the acoustics get put away and i'll play one of my electric guitars unplugged.

i don't really do headphones unless i'm recording. then i go straight into my computer interface and use Garageband. though the preset sounds never sound the way i want them to. once the songs (and the new band) are ready, i'll book some time in my friend's studio to make sure we do it right.

I like what you do... though its the other end of spectrum... "do it right"... serious. For me studio time is a play-with-expert fun thing. I certainly respect that though what I do musically is as opposite that as it gets. And hmmmmmm.....

I've saw a piano teacher who welcomed me to play her piano with her kids get pissed off when she saw me lead a bunch of her own kids into jamming with me on her grand piano and the kids were soooo into it and it sounded so good. It even had that clasical rift in it duduuduu.... but there were no proper finger positions (or like me with pinky behind the fret board:mad:...).

Now this is getting funny... analogous to the truth in a joke or something... like hmmm some serious musicians sure have something against the ear-only players.... am I onto something here? Can't jimmi play?

Back