Refretting vs replacing a Strat neck

Refret or replace?

• Refret

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Replace

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
I went through this a few years ago. I liked my strat and it needed new frets. A new neck might not be the same. I went and played a bunch of guitars to see if it might even be useful to use the $$ on a new guitar. I got a refret (stainless Steel) since I couldn't find a guitar I liked better. YMMV

I've had to make this decision a couple of times. New neck won every time. It was also an opportunity to try some new ideas so that was a factor.

I'm in a real dilemma with my Telecaster, though. I don't want to change a thing but the frets are getting to that point. Plus it's a maple board which I understand is more of a pain to refret due to the finish.

Yep, that's one of the reasons why I got rid of my Tele Thinline, and got my 60s Baja Tele (which has a rosewood fingerboard). Clear finish alongside the fretts, needs to be removed, in order to get at the frets. As a result, some chipping of the fingerboard finish occurs (it's hard to avoid it occurring). Finish can be applied to repair the chipping, but it sounds like it's a hassle to get it to match the original fingerboard finish.

On a new neck, why isn't the fret level already done before it's shipped?

Leveling on aftermarket necks is usually a by-product of computer-pressed new frets all being a uniform height, and it's usually very good, but if you read the fine print, Warmoth and others don't actually do final leveling, crowning, etc. And none do any kind of actual fret dressing like a good pro refret would do.

This doesn't answer the OP's question. For PunkKitty, the new neck route would allow a different neck thickness, neck profile, fingerboard radius, etc. if you want to take advantage of it. But if the tech doing it is really good, the refret will probably be higher quality than the frets on the replacement neck.

I'm struggling with the notion of replacing a perfectly good neck just for the sake of the fret wear/size. For whatever reason, that bothers my OCD.

At the same time though, I am facing a mandatory re-fret on at least two guitars right now and not looking forward to the expense.

For the sake of originality though, I will pay the price.

On a related note: I told my daughter this morning that it was time to trade in the FIAT because it ran out of washer fluid and there was no way I could find OEM replacement fluid from Italy by way of the former Yugoslavian Republic.

She thought me serious.

Maybe I was...

I need to get a refret on my no. 1. There is now way I will replace the neck. I think I may buy the tools and practice on cheapie then do it myself. Then all I need is fretwire in the future without having to decide between a refret and new neck on any guitar.

I'm struggling with the notion of replacing a perfectly good neck just for the sake of the fret wear/size. For whatever reason, that bothers my OCD.

It's a cost thing. As PunkKitty showed, the price of refretting vs. new neck is very close. It might be the frets are the only "problem" but you want to try something else -- shape, fingerboard, etc.

On my last neck, I switched to a rosewood board because I liked the look and the potential for an easier refret later. I also changed from 6105 (narrow tall) to 6150 (standard jumbo) fretwire and really like it.

It's a cost thing. As PunkKitty showed, the price of refretting vs. new neck is very close. It might be the frets are the only "problem" but you want to try something else -- shape, fingerboard, etc.

On my last neck, I switched to a rosewood board because I liked the look and the potential for an easier refret later. I also changed from 6105 (narrow tall) to 6150 (standard jumbo) fretwire and really like it.
I've decided to go with a refret. I don't want to change the shape of the neck. But I do want 6150 frets on it. A local luthier that I've done a lot of work with is giving me a deal.

Being an older MIM the original frets were most likely vintage style, 6150 frets will make the neck seem very different + you will have to replace the nut and adjust the saddles (minor stuff)....Good choice with the fret wire size <3

I have a close friend who is a very busy working musician, he has a 89 MIA Standard which he is now on his 5th neck, he will refret three to four times, then it's a neck replacement time.

Good luck with the refret, again it will seem very different at first with the taller meatier fret wire so do not be shocked, you will soon adjust to the change.

I need to get a refret on my no. 1. There is now way I will replace the neck. I think I may buy the tools and practice on cheapie then do it myself. Then all I need is fretwire in the future without having to decide between a refret and new neck on any guitar.
Geebuzz! Just pay a pro to do that. They will do a far better job than you ever will, and you will have kept a small portion of luthiery alive. Believe me, when you split the fretboard taking out the fifth fret you will have wished you hired someone.

Back