Question: Refret or dress... that is the question

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
I haven't played my Les Paul in a while... use it as a backup for my PRS which is my #1. Last night at a gig I was tuning up the LP and played a bit on it and I thought "Wow, nice rich tone, not as versatile as the PRS but sounds better for what it does. I may have to use it more often!"

Problem is that the frets are heavily oxidized and have some pits on the lower end. I'm wondering if it requires a refret or just a dressing (level/crown). It's a 1985 Les Paul Studio Deluxe and has never been refretted. Frets are low but I like that. I know pics would help, maybe see if I can get some on here.

Any insight appreciated. Also, what is the ballpark price for a refret?

if the frets are not too low, or have deep "dents" in them.....just have them cleaned up. and to be honest, you could likely do it yourself. get some 0000 steel wool and just clean them up. you could take it in and have someone else do it.....but that's what they are going to do. the "pits" aren't likely to come out if they are deep. if they are causing the guitar to sound bad (clicking or something) you could have just those frets replaced and leveled to match the rest.

Full refret usually runs about $200.

Frets are funny. They get bad gradually and you don't notice them until there start to be problems.

I'd suggest just finding someone qualified and taking his or her advice. If it needs a refret, go for it. Done right, it will come back playing like a brand new guitar but it will still be familiar like an old favorite.

I had an acoustic that went from my least favorite to #1. The refret was all it needed.

if they just look grungy and discolored, then i also suggest you polish them up - should be fine. if they are grooved and worn out, then you'll need to get them to a pro, but cleaning them just takes some elbow grease and the right grit paper or steel wool.

Back