Gig Report: Reflecting on Saturday nights gig (with video).

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I need to play a show that is not attached to a Premier Music event. I spend so much time stressing about the whole event that I don't settle in musically for a while. A student shot some video from the other night and I remember being pretty preoccupied the whole first set with other stuff. The second set I just set fuck it, taught the guys "Purple Rain" on stage and had a good time from that point on. I wish there was video of that :)

Anyhow, there is "Roar", "Can I Take You Home?" and "I'm Gonna Leave" on the video. My original idea was to play the whole album down in order for the first set. About halfway through I felt like I was losing people so I called some audibles and played some more energetic stuff. I think my album makes a great album to listen to but for shows I need to write some more "up" tunes and treat the live show like a different animal.

I think the band played great...I'm still stumbling a bit here and there trying to remember lyrics and rework guitar parts while I'm singing.

Sounds great!
Thanks! Its not the energy I wanted though and Im still struggling a. Little with the guitar parts and singing. Some of the stuff is kinda Harder than my cover band music for me to pull off....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I thought it sounded good. You'll get there. Make sure you make a stop in State College when you go on tour.

"I'm Gonna Leave" should keep'em in the room... I am an editor so I'll give you my unwanted advice.
Drop the keys in IGL and jam them with guitar.

Last edited:
I thought it sounded good. You'll get there. Make sure you make a stop in State College when you go on tour.
Thanks Greg. I'd love to make a trip out that way. The closest I could probably pull off is new York since my family is there though. :(

Thanks Greg. I'd love to make a trip out that way. The closest I could probably pull off is new York since my family is there though. :(

I have plans on making a trip out your way in the next year or two. Once I'm done with school, I'm taking some vacation time :)

That was cool Mark. I'd definitely come to hear you play if I lived a little closer (you know, somewhere within a 2,000 mile limit :wink:). I can only imagine how you guys will sound when you play together a little longer, and get really comfortable with the music and each other. Great stuff!

That was cool Mark. I'd definitely come to hear you play if I lived a little closer (you know, somewhere within a 2,000 mile limit :wink:). I can only imagine how you guys will sound when you play together a little longer, and get really comfortable with the music and each other. Great stuff!

I think there is a big difference between an album and a live show; this is a lesson I have learned the hard way. I have found that I need to mix things up, add a couple of covers, do some stuff from earlier recordings (or new material), etc. I also know that mixing the business end with the performing end is never a way to do my best performance.

I really liked the clip, by the way; I think you can't see it as others do.

I think there is a big difference between an album and a live show; this is a lesson I have learned the hard way. I have found that I need to mix things up, add a couple of covers, do some stuff from earlier recordings (or new material), etc. I also know that mixing the business end with the performing end is never a way to do my best performance.

I really liked the clip, by the way; I think you can't see it as others do.
Thanks Gary. It's something I've known but kinda forgot about. I thought it would be fun to play the album in order but it really isn't built for playing in a bar I guess. Time to write some more tunes :)

Thanks Gary. It's something I've known but kinda forgot about. I thought it would be fun to play the album in order but it really isn't built for playing in a bar I guess. Time to write some more tunes :)
That "playing in a bar" thing is tough. I much prefer the concert-type gig; you have more artistic freedom in a concert setting.

I also think you are being too hard on yourself.

but that's how we are wired, I guess.

Well, that is part of how a person excels I guess :)
That "playing in a bar" thing is tough. I much prefer the concert-type gig; you have more artistic freedom in a concert setting.

I'm used to tr bar thing but I'm all out of whack with the original music added into the long night.

Back