Dig it! Refinishing project - UPDATE 03/08/15

To bring out the flame on the back of the neck/headstock i am thinking of put ting on a layer of black water based ink and sanding it down again before applying stain

Good idea? Bad idea?

So, last night I applied cellulose based sanding sealer on the faux-binding bits. I had a look this morning and it looks like it could use another layer.

It should be easy applying the water based paint on the headstock as the cellulose sanding sealer should repel the paint. W should see some tight lines.

Pics later today

photos of faux binding finished

IMG_1565_zpsa7a0d75c.jpg

and the tape removed. TIGHT lines :thu:

IMG_1566_zpsf76027f3.jpg

In that case your normal wood bits like these would do. Just drill the normal hole and then use one of these at the appropriate size to get the counter sink. I'd use a cordless drill which can be set to low power so it doesn't chew through too quick, or even use a hand drill.

ae235

I would do the opposite.
Drill the countersink first and then drill the through-hole.

If you drill the through hole first, the spear to of the counter sink blade will wander.

Aaaand...we're back today.

Staining the neck and back of headstock with Walnut stain. Will sand it down tomorrow and apply a second layer. Look how the flame popped out already.

I am not sure whether I should go darker or stay with walnut. Recommendations?

Anyway, here's the before and after pics:

IMG_1567_zps729ac892.jpg

IMG_1568_zpsb8ae99f2.jpg

IMG_1569_zps99e601c0.jpg

And we're back again.

Today I got out the blue woodstain with the plan to stain the front of the headstock in 2 shades of blue, one darker and one lighter to create a burst effect. It went smoothly until I had a good look and it was WAYYY too blue :lol: I mean BRIGHT!.

So I decided to sand down the headstock as much as possible and rethink how I was going to salvage the job. Halfway during sanding I had a look and I LOVED what I saw. So I decided to leave it like this. Once it's dry I will start applying tru-oil.

I am having such a good time! :thu:

IMG_1570_zpse10679d1.jpg

IMG_1571_zps25d4c439.jpg

Last night and tonight: tru-oil finishing of the headstock/neck. Pics soon

Back