Dig it! Refinishing project - UPDATE 03/08/15

As promised, here are some pictures after 2 layers of tru-oil. Will continue to apply layer by layer, lightly sanding in between with 400 grit paper, until I have built up about 10-15 layers.

It's already looking awesome in my opinion:

IMG_1573_zps5c776b1f.jpg

IMG_1574_zpsb44ccf94.jpg

I haven't posted on here yet because the pictures are blocked at my work. :mad::mad::mad:

But I've bookmarked it now so that I can check it out at home.

So, another overdue update.

Despite having little spare time, I managed to apply a couple more layers of tru-oil, but am not finished yet. Needs about 5 or 6 more layers. It's starting to look amazing :rawk:

IMG_1587_zps2d4f7b3a.jpg

IMG_1588_zps798b655d.jpg

I also spent the last couple of nights removing lacquer (using paint stripper) and sanding down the body:

IMG_1581_zps041194f0.jpg

I applied the masking tape tonight, so I can start applying sanding sealer tomorrow for the faux-binding.

IMG_1583_zpsfc318a9c.jpg

IMG_1586_zps2bc625aa.jpg

it wasn't easy to get straight lines, especially around the corners, but I got it to the extend I am happy.

I also decided to direct mount the pickups, as I hated the way pickup rings look on this guitar. This means I will have to use woodfiller to fill the drilling holes which will be a small added job to do.

As the body is going to be a trans-blue burst, I thought white pickup covers may provide a nice contrast. We'll see about that later :)

anyway, enjoy the pics :thu:

Wok

So, it's been a while since my last update. Have not had the time to do much.

Anyway, I sanded the back and sides of the body and I applied walnut stain. It turned out that there were lots of spots left that still had lacquer on it, which were clearly visible as they didn't take the stain. So back sanding again this evening and re-applied the stain again.

It's not perfect, but it's good enough to not distract too much.

Pics!

IMG_1593_zps0114a73c.jpg

IMG_1597_zps56760d73.jpg

IMG_1598_zpsef4e4f3c.jpg

Wow. I haven't been keeping up with this. That looks fantastic. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Applied the blue to the top and sanded it down to a burst. I did a mock up below. You can see that the burst is not applied equally, so I am going to sand it and touch it up tomorrow

05e8db8d-7f4e-42ca-a5b6-ebe27ebc3881_zpsa2d1b92d.jpg

As I mentioned earlier< iw asn't completely happy with the burst above as it was a bit patchy and uneven. So I did some hard work sanding the top down by hand ( no electrical tools) where the blue stain hadn't taken properly and did some major touching up. It required a bit of trial and error,sanding and restaining a few times.

Here's a picture of the final result. It is as good as I am going to get it. Also removed the masking tape so you can see the faux-binding and the darkened back of the wood. Loving the contrast between the 'layers' :thu:

IMG_1607_zps459a2ab0.jpg

Now it's time to apply the tru-oil and then re-assembling the whole guitar.

Wok signing off for today

:Wave:

Back