Dig it! Refinishing project - UPDATE 03/08/15

Anyone remember that site where you can order custom neckplates?

Also, i am thinking of getting a tremol-no. Is it easy ito install? Any drawbacks to it?

Anyone remember that site where you can order custom neckplates?

Also, i am thinking of getting a tremol-no. Is it easy ito install? Any drawbacks to it?
I haven't used a Tremol-No, but I have similar devices on most of my vibrato-equipped guitars. They work, but they make a noticeable detent at the zero point. It's annoying if you like to do slow, shallow whammy bends. Then again, if that's what you like, you probably don't need one. At any rate, you can try it and remove it if you don't like it.

So, not much progress so far, been too busy apart from tru-oil coating. The finish is almost done.

I am currently ordering a custom neckplate from http://www.lazrartstore.com/Custom-Gold-Neck-Plate_p_18.html which will have this engraved in it:

mumed2.jpg

along with some text. Cool thing is that you can send them your picture and they will tell you whether it will be suitable or not.

Need to get new locking machine heads, not decided yet on the brand yet... any recommendations? hardware will be gold btw :embarrassed:

After a long period not having time to look at this project, last weekend I had some time to move forward a bit and I ordered some new stuff:

- Headstock decal
- White pickup cover
- neck plate

I received the decal so I applied it and did another layer of tru-oil. This is what the finished headstock looks like:

image1_zps0sfu9cqe.jpg

On a related, having not looked at it for a while, I have a new perspective on the project, and I am not really happy with the body finish, so I am looking at re-doing it.

Also need some new tuners, which are onnext month's shopping list

Took some picks of the nearly finished article:

Photo%20on%2004-08-2015%20at%2021.09%203_zpsnvkseeo8.jpg

Photo%20on%2004-08-2015%20at%2021.09_zpsggyynem0.jpg

and the darkened back and neck:

Photo%20on%2004-08-2015%20at%2021.13%202_zps1gim9ysz.jpg

rosewood stain + tru oil finish:

Photo%20on%2004-08-2015%20at%2021.13_zpsolidtf09.jpg

Man oh man. That came out awesome. Can't wait to see proper pictures and hear your playing first impressions.

Reactions: wok
Back