Rediscovering my 5150 iii 50 watt

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
So over a year ago, my twin girls were born and my playing time got cut to maybe 10 – 15 min a day 2 or 3 times a week. Also, I’ve been mostly using my Tech 21 RK5 into a mixer with headphones. I haven’t really touched my 5150 iii in quite some time. I even put it up on craigslist.

A few weeks ago, my sister-in-law moved in(temporarily) and took over my music room for her bedroom. I packed away all my amps and set up a little section of my bedroom for a few guitars and my RK5 setup.

Last weekend, I had someone interested in the amp so I got the amp out of storage. When I met up with the guy, he said that he didn’t know the amp had the purple grille even though it’s posted in the pictures. I set up the amp in my bedroom instead of packing it away. I plugged a delay pedal into the loop and BOOM… my favorite tone I’ve ever had.

I forgot how insane this amp is… the clean is great(especially for a high gain amp), and the blue channel with a boost in front is just amazing. I’m also rediscovering the red channel… I’m going to try using a 12AU7’s at V2 and V3(recommended by Howard Kaplan to tame the gain a bit). Here’s a pic of my quaint set up:

B4A87560-1DF5-4781-8DDF-5898C4FAFC67.jpg

Some people would call it a GC setup… and that’s fine with me. Here’s what I have with it:

Donner Yellow Fall Delay and Donner Noise Gate in loop
Boss TU2, TC Electronic Spark Booster and Bad Monkey for slight overdrives in front of the amp.

It’s not the fanciest, but it sounds damn good!!!!

How about your set up?

That amp is Sooooooooo You.
Very true. He should never get rid of it.
My home practice setup is very simple: MIA Standard Tele HS into a Fender Super Champ head with a homemade 1x12 cab.

The bad monkey is for use with the clean channel giving me a 4th channel.

The spark boost is for the blue channel for just a bit more hair. My favorite channel ever

Interesting.

I use a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver and two Red Llama clones. The Skreddy is primarily used as a boost for the others, but it's a great straight up drive that's very different from the Llamas. They go from low gain to slicing Smurfco's ears off.

Interesting.

I use a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver and two Red Llama clones. The Skreddy is primarily used as a boost for the others, but it's a great straight up drive that's very different from the Llamas. They go from low gain to slicing Smurfco's ears off.

Word. Is that boo-teek stuff? So many pedal makers these days

Word. Is that boo-teek stuff? So many pedal makers these days

Skreddy kinda defines boutique. He's just one guy who makes $200 - $300 pedals. The pedals are usually based around some chip he can only buy a limited number of and they skyrocket in value once discontinued. The HFD is the perfect boost/MIAB for me.

The Red Llama was/is Jorge Tripps tweak of the Craig Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz. He originally manufactured it under the Way Huge name, which was one of the original boutique pedal companies. Way Huge closed when Jorge moved on to Line 6. He now works for Dunlop and is responsible for all of their new pedals and design tweaks. He also brought back the Way Huge line under Dunlop's manufacturing. Anyway, my HC friend Mr. Sage started building General Guitar Gadget Red Llama clones called the Rocket Drive after Jorge closed Way Huge. He built me a version with two pedals in one box. I put a Vlasic Pickle stork tattoo on it, and now call it the Pickle Drive.

D6364903-7378-4953-B735-BD1E7267C794_zpsoqbsa73z.jpg

Back