Recordingfest Reveal - April 2016!

@Kerouac I like this a lot, nice lyrics and great sound for such a straightforward, minimalist arrangement. Usually with something this stripped down I feel like something is missing but this sounds great and very full. How do you record acoustic?

@Knox in Box Vocals sound great. I'm not familiar with the tune but I like the dark moodiness of this version.

Here is a rough mix of my three piece band TSK. A tune called "Big Bad Burrito". This rough mix is out of our drum tracking session from last week.

The guitars and bass are just scratch tracks and will not be kept in the final recording. I am posting it just the "What the Heck" aspect of it all.

@Kerouac I like this a lot, nice lyrics and great sound for such a straightforward, minimalist arrangement. Usually with something this stripped down I feel like something is missing but this sounds great and very full. How do you record acoustic?

I wish I could take credit for the lyrics, but that's all Anderson East.

I record acoustics a LOT of different ways. I'm never quite satisfied with my acoustic tone but I keep hunting for a better mic, position, and preamp combination. IMO, this is one of the better ones I've done recently and I'd say 90% of it was just that Collings sounding amazing. I used a celluloid thin pick for the strumming, because I like how it changes the attack. For the lead I used a small V-pick for extra projection and I really think it gives it a bit of harmonic richness, crazy as that sounds.

I used a single SM81 small diaphragm condenser through the Apogee Ensemble, which is a really clean preamp. I positioned the mic fairly close, about 6"away from the guitar and positioned it near the 14th fret, but angled it a bit more towards 12th fret treble side to reject some boom. I did have the low end rolled off on the mic. I'd say the actual mic angle was pretty shallow, maybe 20 degrees? I can take some pics if it would help.

Dexter - Love it! The organ is awesome!
Gary - I dig the vibe of Tao. And the picking on Still Alive is great!
Kerouac - Very intimate sounding. The timbre of your voice is perfect for this.
Knox - Lush production. Very nice!
Mnewb1 - Good job! Nice take on the Numb solo.
rsadasiv - Super tight performance!
Smurfco - Man, I dig everything you do. You always sound like you. Cool changes, tasteful yet subtle vocal harmonies, perfect solo. Great!

Scott - That's some pretty killer stuff. Looking forward to hearing the finished product!

Scott Abene: diggin the burrito! I like the baseline on this one, guitar has an excellent tone...I would like to hear the finished version as well

Here is a rough mix of my three piece band TSK. A tune called "Big Bad Burrito". This rough mix is out of our drum tracking session from last week.

The guitars and bass are just scratch tracks and will not be kept in the final recording. I am posting it just the "What the Heck" aspect of it all.

That is pretty neat. I'd be interested in the finished product.

Neato! I look forward to checking out everybody's entries.

Here is a 1+1 sort of thing from the my latest round of recording. It's a song I wrote a while back, but am just now getting around to recording. The ending is kind of abrupt, but we'll smooth that out with a fade out or something when the time comes.

@mnewb1 Better Angel reminds me of Grandaddy for some reason, are you familiar with them? They're one of my favorites. Great tone on the lead work here. Comfortably Numb sounds great too, nice take on that.

@rsadasiv as Gary said you are channeling Bowie here but still making it your own. A haunting quality to this one that I like a lot.

@rhino this is great stuff! I was certain it was a cover of some old country song, maybe Woody Guthrie or someone - really impressed that it's an original. I like your voice too.

@Scott_Abene very complex stuff here, I am always impressed by folks that can construct and orchestrate tunes like this that are really very technical but still sound cohesive. Some of the drumming reminds me a little bit of electronica stuff like Squarepusher or Aphex Twin.

Thanks Knox :)

The organ is a slightly tweaked preset from NI's Vintage Organs instrument. All of the keys were done with Kontakt 5 :wink:

I'll get to listening sometime after work today.
Great version. How do you like Vintage Organs? I had been using B4 but couldn't get the license to transfer to my new music computer, so I need a new organ vsti.

Keys: Caustic 3. i really liked working this way, I made a plan for my song programmed it , mixed it, exported the song and imported to Samplitude. Made me have to commit to a plan instead of tweaking endlessly at the desk. also I handled 1/4 of my production during the downtime at work. :embarrassed:

Drums: Midi editor in Samplitude

Bass: Squier P bass Special

Main theme guitar: SX strat with my home wound bridge pickup-phaser-joyo american tone into interface.

Dirt Guitars: My headless steinberger kit guitar into Movall Black widow-American tone

Theremin: Leon app on my smartphone. How long it took to get myself playing cleanly is my own secret. Lets just say it took quite a while before I had it ready to record.

Solo Guitar: Mahogany strat-Micro Q-Trex Dual drive-American Tone

More later....
Synth settings are really effective and the guitars sound great. Is this a cover?

Back