Recommendation, please

Muppet

Cat in the Hat
I'm selling a few of my amps off in favor of buying just one good combo amp. (No, I'm not selling the Legacy, just some other stuff.) I need a good recommendation on a giggable, 1x12, all tube amp, for under a grand. It's mostly going to be for blues gigs. I have a Boss multi-effects, so it doesn't need 3 channels, or even reverb. I just want tons of great tone, and a lot of volume.

Yeah, the Deluxe Reverb is hard to beat for this kind of thing. If you need more volume, used Twins are often cheaper as they weigh a ton and are too loud for mortals.

Yeah, the Deluxe Reverb is hard to beat for this kind of thing. If you need more volume, used Twins are often cheaper as they weigh a ton and are too loud for mortals.
There's other options, too, like the Peavey Classic series, Fender Hot Rods, or the old Crate Vintage Club series. Since you're using effects, I'd check out a Peavey 6505 1x12 combo. The rhythm channel on those is pretty sweet for bluesy stuff. When I was running a 5150-II (6505+) for a while, the rhythm channel reminded me A LOT of my old '66 Fender Dual Showman head (run through the same cab). You can pick up the 6505 combo relatively cheap, too.

^^ All good choices. The peavey classic series also have the benefit of a great distortion channel if you want to skip the fx. The same would be true for the 5150/6505, if you go for high gain. Excellent suggestions. I see those 6505's going used for not a ton of cash.

Agree with what the others have suggested: Fender Deluxe Reverb or Peavey Classic 30. You can often find the Classic 30 used for approx. $300 (well below your budget). that leaves lots of $$ for more guitars.

:helper:

marshall wall.jpg

Not a fan of the DRRI.

I love my MESA Express 5:25 1x12. PLENTY loud, and w/the 2 GREAT channels with completely separate EQ's, reverb and contour I don't need dirt pedals, ever. Used can be found in the $700 range. The new + model is like $1300 I think.

Absolutely the best sounding amp I've owned.

Back