Recommend me an amp

Just got back from GC. Here is what I tried.

Orange OR 15
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall DSL 40
Fender Bass Breaker 15

The OR 15 was awesome. It sounded good clean and good dirty.

The Rocker 30 has probably the best dirty channel I’ve ever heard. I hated the clean channel, but to be fair, I was playing a humbucker equipped guitar and getting a good clean humbucker sound has always been challenging for me. I went and grabbed a Tele, but some kid snagged the Orange section by the time I got back. I did get a very useable “clean” tone on the dirty channel with the gain down.

The DSL 40 has a really good clean channel. I usually go for a Fender clean and this is not a Fender clean, but it still sounded awesome. The dirt channel was ridiculous. Way too over the top for me. I started playing some metalish riff and an audience gathered. Some kid asked me to show him how to play what I was playing :grin:

Surprisngly, the Bass Breaker 15 was the best all around amp I played. I ran a Tele through it and a humbucker equipped Dano and they both sounded good through all three settings. The dirt was nowhere near as good as the Rocker 30 and the clean was very different from the Marshall. The clean was closer to my F50.

I think im gonna wait for the Marshall Origin amps drop before I buy something. I want to hear that one.

If the Rocker 15 sounds as good as the 30, it is a strong contender just for that dirt channel.

Just got back from GC. Here is what I tried.

Orange OR 15
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall DSL 40
Fender Bass Breaker 15

The OR 15 was awesome. It sounded good clean and good dirty.

The Rocker 30 has probably the best dirty channel I’ve ever heard. I hated the clean channel, but to be fair, I was playing a humbucker equipped guitar and getting a good clean humbucker sound has always been challenging for me. I went and grabbed a Tele, but some kid snagged the Orange section by the time I got back. I did get a very useable “clean” tone on the dirty channel with the gain down.

The DSL 40 has a really good clean channel. I usually go for a Fender clean and this is not a Fender clean, but it still sounded awesome. The dirt channel was ridiculous. Way too over the top for me. I started playing some metalish riff and an audience gathered. Some kid asked me to show him how to play what I was playing :grin:

Surprisngly, the Bass Breaker 15 was the best all around amp I played. I ran a Tele through it and a humbucker equipped Dano and they both sounded good through all three settings. The dirt was nowhere near as good as the Rocker 30 and the clean was very different from the Marshall. The clean was closer to my F50.

I think im gonna wait for the Marshall Origin amps drop before I buy something. I want to hear that one.

If the Rocker 15 sounds as good as the 30, it is a strong contender just for that dirt channel.

I’m risht with you on the DSL, but the early reports on the new version have the red channel much less ridiculous, so there’s that.

I like the Bassbreaker 15 as well.

I’m risht with you on the DSL, but the early reports on the new version have the red channel much less ridiculous, so there’s that.

I like the Bassbreaker 15 as well.

I think if I were replacing my Mesa with something smaller, the Bassbreaker may be the one.

Thomann has somehow a shipment of Fender Vaporizer coming in at the beginning of April for 199 on the website.

What, did Fender find an unshipped stash from deep in a Gibson warehouse?

Woukd be nice if there was a “lost” stash of Excelsiors, too.

What, did Fender find an unshipped stash from deep in a Gibson warehouse?

Woukd be nice if there was a “lost” stash of Excelsiors, too.
Idk. I had one on preorder but wasn't willing to wait until April. At first they had them listed for 02Mar. Red and Blue ones are 179€ surf green 199. Listing still stands.

Idk. I had one on preorder but wasn't willing to wait until April. At first they had them listed for 02Mar. Red and Blue ones are 179€ surf green 199. Listing still stands.

Not in the market (for anything yet), but for giggles, I put one in the cart, and got a total of like $220 shipped :eek:.

still wonder if this is 1) a MF-style glitch listing, 2) a special deal on unsold old inventory, or 3) Fender is bringing these back.

For your purpose a Micro Terror with a cleaner tube (I use a reissue Tung Sol Au7) and a fairly efficient 1x12 will get you there. The au7 really opens up the headroom but the dirt is still there at higher gain.
If you already own a cab, this solves your problem for under $200.
Yes I know it’s a hybrid, but it works.

If you can find an old Crate Vintage Club 2110R it will fill the bill exactly. Mine finally quit on me but I miss it so much I’m gonna get it fixed. Single channel, mid boost switch, small but usable Reverb tank, voxy/ Marshally tones, loud enough to jam with.

For your purpose a Micro Terror with a cleaner tube (I use a reissue Tung Sol Au7) and a fairly efficient 1x12 will get you there. The au7 really opens up the headroom but the dirt is still there at higher gain.
If you already own a cab, this solves your problem for under $200.
Yes I know it’s a hybrid, but it works.

I wish somewhere around me had those and the mini Vox amps so I could try them out. Those seem like a super cheap way to do what I want. I guess I could always look for a sale or Reverb used and if they don’t work out, I could sell it.

So what’s the difference between the micro terror and the micro dark terror? Just the loop?

Not in the market (for anything yet), but for giggles, I put one in the cart, and got a total of like $220 shipped :eek:.

still wonder if this is 1) a MF-style glitch listing, 2) a special deal on unsold old inventory, or 3) Fender is bringing these back.
Hope it works out. That's an unrealistically good deal if it's not a glitch.

Back