Recommend me an amp

Thomann has somehow a shipment of Fender Vaporizer coming in at the beginning of April for 199 on the website.

15-20 watts and good cleans is counter-intuitive and against market trends. Smaller amps are almost all voiced to be "mean" at reasonable levels. More watts equals more headroom and big amps can be clean a any volume.

I know. I should have been a little more clear. This amp is going to be lugged to my neighbor's house when we jam. so when I am turning it up, dirt is fine. I want the nice cleans when I am home playing quietly. If it stays nice and clean all the way up that is fine too. When I bought my Mesa F50 head, I was only taking it out of my basement twice a year, buy my neighbor has gotten in to jamming so I am heading over there at least twice a month. Lugging that thing with a 2x12 cab is a pain and it is really overkill.

I know. I should have been a little more clear. This amp is going to be lugged to my neighbor's house when we jam. so when I am turning it up, dirt is fine. I want the nice cleans when I am home playing quietly. If it stays nice and clean all the way up that is fine too. When I bought my Mesa F50 head, I was only taking it out of my basement twice a year, buy my neighbor has gotten in to jamming so I am heading over there at least twice a month. Lugging that thing with a 2x12 cab is a pain and it is really overkill.

Buy something cheap and pedal friendly off cl, like a classic 30, and leave it there?

Are you looking for a dirt amp or a clean amp?

Honestly, it really doesn't matter. I'll be using it to jam with my neighbor and some friends. I like a clean amp for me, but these guys mostly play classic rock stuff, so dirt is fine too. I really could get by with a single channel dirty amp, but I would like to be able to use it with stuff I like to do as well, which is usually clean stuff with pedals for dirt if needed. But I still have my Mesa for that.

Buy something cheap and pedal friendly off cl, like a classic 30, and leave it there?

That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure I want to leave it there though. We jam in his pool house and when we aren't in there, there is no heat or ac left on.

Ahhh! So not a be all end all kind of thing. Buy a micro dark terror, swap the 12ax7 for something other than the JJ, and get a cheapo 12” cab with some sort of celestion. I’ll bring mine to the barn if you want to try one out first. Sweetwater will knock 10 bucks off a new one just for asking. And also free shipping. Gotta change the tube though. It’s absolutely too fizzy with what is in there. Plus you can come out of the loop send into the return of your mesa making it an all tube amp. It’s good enough on its own though. And loud. Takes pedals good in the front also.

Last edited:

That screams used Princeton Reverb RI or Classic 30 all over it. The latter is ~$300 used, good tone, versatile and takes abuse well.

Maybe @sunvalleylaw will sell Chad his Classic 30. stirthepot
Nah. You convinced me when I was looking at Orange to stick with it and maybe consider a speaker change. As you said, it is perfectly cromulent. And it is pretty versatile and does not sound horrible at home volumes. Though better a little more cranked up. Also, it is not that light. I don't know what it actually weighs, but it feels to me pretty much like picking up a 45lb plate with one arm at the gym.

Regarding the cleans at lower volume, it is not squeaky fender clean. But a nice, warm clean at lower volume is something I like about it.

Yeah- - like you’re gonna find one of those for $750! :poke:

Oh, yeah. No, you'd have to be really lucky. How about a Mesa Subway Rocket? I know they're heavy for their size, but still portable. I ended up with a Classic 30 as my grab and go amp. I had a 16 ohm JBL D123 sitting around, so I stuck that in there.

Nah. You convinced me when I was looking at Orange to stick with it and maybe consider a speaker change. As you said, it is perfectly cromulent. And it is pretty versatile and does not sound horrible at home volumes. Though better a little more cranked up. Also, it is not that light. I don't know what it actually weighs, but it feels to me pretty much like picking up a 45lb plate with one arm at the gym.

Regarding the cleans at lower volume, it is not squeaky fender clean. But a nice, warm clean at lower volume is something I like about it.
I guess from online info, it is about 40lbs.

Back