Recommend me an acoustic-electric in the $1,500 range

To me buying an acoustic is a totally different beast than buying an electric. Find a good store or three and play literally every acoustic in that price range, with a pickup or not. Ignore the brands. There are killer guitars in that price range from Breedlove, Takamine, Seagull, Gibson, Eastman, Yamaha, Larrivee, and more. Play everything. Buy the one that screams to never be put down again.

I have a fair number of acoustics, and I have to say that for amplified acoustic gigs, I'm using a Godin these days:

if7st8calee0xyujint5.jpg

I find it does the acoustic thing fantastically, and also gives me the capability of mixing some electric pickup into it when I want a different tone. Oh -- and it's far lighter than any of my other electrics and far thinner than any of my other acoustics. The current model they have that is similar is the A6 Ultra -- about $700. I would at least check it out.

Forget GC. Come on down to Manhattan and go to Rudy's. Either location. You'll have a much better experience.
Good idea - I said GC as the de facto spot because I didn't know where else to go... as usual HIAR is a beacon in the darkness.

Let me know if you want to meet up on my guitar adventure.

Good idea - I said GC as the de facto spot because I didn't know where else to go... as usual HIAR is a beacon in the darkness.

Let me know if you want to meet up on my guitar adventure.

I'm getting new cable service on Saturday morning. How about around 2pm?

I like the Godin... But Ive had great luck gigging with my Taylor T5 Classic for the past 2years.

My Takamine EAN10C (or something like that) is by far the best acoustic I've ever owned. It sounds great acoustically or plugged in.

I got it used at GC in Greensboro, NC a few years ago for $499. It's a great guitar.

Oh, and GC threw in an Alvarez hard case that still smells like weed. :embarrassed:

And there was a Keyser capo in the storage compartment.

I was all about buying a Seagull C6 A/E for the same price, but after playing the Tak, I couldn't pass it up.

To me buying an acoustic is a totally different beast than buying an electric. Find a good store or three and play literally every acoustic in that price range, with a pickup or not. Ignore the brands. There are killer guitars in that price range from Breedlove, Takamine, Seagull, Gibson, Eastman, Yamaha, Larrivee, and more. Play everything. Buy the one that screams to never be put down again.

This. ^

Personally my Yamaha FG411E is low to mid range model I believe. Unplugged it is a great acoustic. Plugged in, the Yamaha electronics blow away stuff costing a great deal more.

I could've sworn I checked back into this thread and updated with what I got. I settled on a Martin GPCPA 4R that Howie helped me pick out. Love love love it so far.

Back