Recommend me a sub-$100 Wah

shoeless

Riffin'
Looking for a decent wah on a budget. Here are the top contenders so far:

1. Morley PWO Power Wah Pedal, $75. optical pot, stomp switch w/LED for on/off. Level control.
2. Morley CLW Classic Wah Pedal, $70. same as above but no level control. Sweeps may be different too, not sure.
3. Vox V845 Classic Wah Wah Pedal, $70. Mechanical pot, toe-down switch, no LED on/off.
4. Dunlop GCB95 Original Crybaby Wah Pedal, $70. Same as above.

Any others I should consider, or should I stay away from any of these?

I have not tried any of these, so I don't know how the sweeps compare or how they sound in bypass mode. From what I can tell, the next tier is at around $110-$130 and gets you the Q control. I really don't need too much...just something to get me that classic wah sound without a bunch of noise added.

Looking for a decent wah on a budget. Here are the top contenders so far:

4. Dunlop GCB95 Original Crybaby Wah Pedal, $70. Same as above.

Buy used. I was lucky enough to walk into GC and found used GCB95's for $35-$40 in perfect working condition.

Buy used. I was lucky enough to walk into GC and found used GCB95's for $35-$40 in perfect working condition.

How do you like the Dunlop? Did you do a true bypass mod, or is it acceptable as-is?

Even though I already have a nice wah, this one temps me at $98.
Check out the video demo:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CryingTone/

Looks interesting. I knew they made that Talking Pedal in that form factor, but didn't realize they made a more standard wah in it too. Worth checking out, thanks.

I've occasionally been looking on CL, but so far no luck. Maybe I should hit a pawn shop or two...

How do you like the Dunlop? Did you do a true bypass mod, or is it acceptable as-is?

I modded two of them to true bypass and the other two are about to get the mods as well. I also add an LED indicator so that at a glance the wah is on.

For years I never realized how much the Cry Baby tone sucked. From my Thomas Organ Cry Baby to the Dunlap, they just all need the bypass mod and indicator.

All I ever used is a reg ol Dunlop Cry Baby. Bypass smypass, sounds fine to me. It goes wah wah. I use it more for a tone control anyway for certain sounds.
But Im no pedal connesseur. If I own a "true bypass" pedal of any kind its pure luck and unintentional. None of mine cost over a hunnerd bucks.

Mod the vox or crybaby to true bypass. Or buy the crybaby classic, which is already tb. Or buy Jaxn's snarling dogs in the spam forum.

Doh! I just missed (literally he sold it 2 hours ago) a Snarling Dogs wah for $35 on CL. That woulda been a good deal even if it was a 30 mile drive to get it.

I modded two of them to true bypass and the other two are about to get the mods as well. I also add an LED indicator so that at a glance the wah is on.

For years I never realized how much the Cry Baby tone sucked. From my Thomas Organ Cry Baby to the Dunlap, they just all need the bypass mod and indicator.

That's a hell of a mod. ...and some scary shit. :grin:

I've got an old Vox V847 (not V847a) in my setup that I've modded, one mod being true bypass switching. I also swapped out a couple resistors (just a couple bucks), the transistors, the inductor, and the pot (ProPotz). Thing is a beast. Even stock, though, the older V847 sounded better than the new one and you can find them for not a whole lot these days.

Doh! I just missed (literally he sold it 2 hours ago) a Snarling Dogs wah for $35 on CL. That woulda been a good deal even if it was a 30 mile drive to get it.

I'll send you a GCB95 with a new pot in it for 20 bucks +shipping. Or a Vox 847 for 40 +shipping.

Back