Recommend me a good truck for approximately 20k.

Starting to save and shop for a new tow rig. I got a truck camper, so I don't have to sleep on the ground any more. So the 2001 1500 Suburban we currently use to tow our 1998 Response (single axle trailer) is on the way out. I am thinking I want to stay about 2010 to 2013-ish, for price. I want to keep the price somewhere close to 20k. Or at least low 20's. Even with that, will probably finance about half. I want 250/2500 level for carrying the weight of the truck camper, and pulling the boat, over a high pass we cross to get to the lakes, and to properly support the tongue weight and camper. Open to all three brands. Open to either fuel. Of course it will likely be a vehicle from one of the big 3. and I do want a crew cab or at least a good sized extended cap suitable for teens, and an 8 ft. bed. It will be a big truck, but I live in Idaho, so that is ok. Oh, and I will try for leather, but it at least has to have a power driver's seat with good adjustability and lumbar support even if cloth.

Please give my your thoughts as to brand, years to look for, which motor/fuel, etc. Thanks!

Toyota?

00G0G_6rYIcT33bdA_1200x900.jpg

Not aware that they make a truck that is equivalent to F250/2500 HD level. Has to do with rear suspension, as I understand it, along with towing capacity. Though I bet Toyota's 5.7 would be up to the towing, if it was supported by appropriate suspension.

How much does the boat weigh? How about the camper?
Camper is about 1600 loaded. 1998 Malibu Response LX (with Indmar Monsoon (Chevy motor)) is 2450 dry so let's say 2700-ish with 20 gallons, although I usually carry 10-15 for a day of skiing for better wake characteristics, and gear. Not sure on the tongue weight. It is a single axle trailer with brakes. I kinda wish I had the second axle, but oh well. It works.

You should buy an F150 then. I pull a 5200 + pound boat to Florida from Pittsburgh through the mountains of West Virginia easily. Probably closer to 6000 pounds. You can get an F150 rated to around 11,000 pounds towing with the right package. I’d just get a v8 and not the eco-boost. No issues stopping either with a 150. Plenty of braking power.

You should buy an F150 then. I pull a 5200 + pound boat to Florida from Pittsburgh through the mountains of West Virginia easily. Probably closer to 6000 pounds. You can get an F150 rated to around 11,000 pounds towing with the right package. I’d just get a v8 and not the eco-boost. No issues stopping either with a 150. Plenty of braking power.
My buddy who struck a deal with me on the camper said his Chev 1500 was marginal with the camper in terms of handling, and that his engine worked pretty hard over the pass. (8700 ft.) That was the reason for reaching for HD. Maybe I can get away with a F150 or 1500 level Ram or Chev if I put airbags on the suspension. My buddy also mentioned that there are Chev 1500 HD units out there with beefier suspension and increased towing capacity. But it seems hard to find out anything about them.

Get the eco boost F150 if you are heading over 8700 feet. The Ram is easier to put airbags on since it is coil sprung in the back but it’s naturally aspirated. With the weights you gave me your tongue weight should only be about 300 pounds. I’m up near 500 pound tongue weight with no airbags or issue in my ‘09 F150 and about 15,000 miles of towing that beast. You won’t even know 2500 pounds is back there.

I have been settling in on this type of truck, a 2500/3500 Ram HD, diesel. This is a nice local unit that is available. Price seems within range of what the books say, but would like to see if I can get it cheaper. The thing I like about this one, other than it is a color I like, etc., is that it was locally purchased, used, and maintained, and has very low miles. Looks like it was a fairly wealthy person who had a nice truck but didn't use it much. That is how we bought our Suburban, though that was a private sale. Might have been nice to find this one privately before he traded it in.

https://my.dealersocket.com/NewEbrochure/eBrochure/Index?WebLeadId=Tt9IdaOc 5U=&InventoryID=ABL5SoMgDbk=&EBrochureSiteId=ZrdTf9NQ46M=&EBrochureEntityId=I u4oPseM8g=&EventId=e D3i/9UzUo=&CreatedById=a1XVkaPGjhk=&RemoteSiteId=ZrdTf9NQ46M=

And here is the cargurus listing as the pics show up a bit bigger. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/mySavedListings.action#listing=195926808

Last edited:
I have a RAM 1500.
I haven’t done a lot of towing with yet, but that was the intention when I bought it. The tow package allows for up to 10000 lbs if I remeber correctly.

I had to go base trim package because I was buying my wife’s Challenger R/T at the same time. I would have loved to get a Laramie or other higher trim with diesel, but new they were going for around 60k CDN.

I got the big cab, four door. I have to say it is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. I love driving it. It’s great for long trips. With the multi-displacement 5.7L HEMI, it’s fairly decent on fuel.
I’ve had it rust proofed every year since I bought it. I want it to hold up for years or have a good resale value if I decide to sell.

I have a RAM 1500.
I haven’t done a lot of towing with yet, but that was the intention when I bought it. The tow package allows for up to 10000 lbs if I remeber correctly.

I had to go base trim package because I was buying my wife’s Challenger R/T at the same time. I would have loved to get a Laramie or other higher trim with diesel, but new they were going for around 60k CDN.

I got the big cab, four door. I have to say it is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. I love driving it. It’s great for long trips. With the multi-displacement 5.7L HEMI, it’s fairly decent on fuel.
I’ve had it rust proofed every year since I bought it. I want it to hold up for years or have a good resale value if I decide to sell.
You keep making me think you are @Tig with that profile pic. This one is the standard crew cab, rather than Mega, and seems pretty decent for rear seat room. I did not want the Mega as I will be hauling a slide in camper, and it changes where the center of gravity, or balance point, is relative to the wheels. This one seems like a nice truck. I hope to get a deal started and get it checked over by a mechanic. It was a local rich person's car that has been treated very well, or so it appears. I really wanted and almost need the diesel for hauling the camper and towing the boat, and do need the 2500 level suspension, so buying lower mileage used makes more sense for me, especially with the price tag on new diesel 2500/3500's. Sheesh! This is one pic of the truck from the above link.

2010_dodge_ram_2500-pic-5423665500247476203-1024x768.jpg

It also has Amp research running board/steps that pop out when you open the doors, which is cool too. :)

Well, inspection checked out and just waiting on the financing to come through. It is a pretty nice looking thing. Nicest interior I have owned. The guy kept it up very well. A few pics coming.

Ok, took a few interior pics yesterday as I was a bit smitten with it. Here are a few, mostly mine, but a couple of the dealer's, that I won't repeat on new truck day.

2010_dodge_ram_2500-pic-574638175110873009-1024x768.jpg
2010_dodge_ram_2500-pic-2110828362020430918-1024x768.jpg
IMG_7027.jpg
IMG_7028.jpg
IMG_7030.jpg
IMG_7038.jpg

Yah, kinda a lot of pics, but I haz more than a little bit of excited!

Back