Really Dumb QuestionAll

Pine Apple Slim

Armchair Expert
I have a new Mac w Logic 10 and a Scarlett 18i8. I want to try and record my 4 piece band live.
The interface has 4 mic inputs and 4 line level inputs on the back.
The line inputs appear to take standard 1/4 jacks. As far as I know they are mono.
I can submix the drums and send a line out from a little 4 ch mixer.
I think I can send the vocs from the ch inserts on the main board.
My bass amp also has a line out.

My question is what kind of cables are required for line level signals?
All I know is they need to be 1/4".
Is this the same as speaker cable, or instrument cable, or what?

Thanks. Then I shouldn't need to buy more cables unless I want TRS. Got plenty inst cords.

Am I on the right track on how to set this up?
The band is elec guitar, harp, drums, and bass. Lead voc and a bit of harmony.
Our practice setup is super basic. Vocs into board> 2 Mackie SM450s for voc monitors. Bass amp, guitar amp, harmonica amp, simple basic drum kit.
I realize there will be some instr bleed into the voc and drum mics, but my room Sounds pretty good, lively but not overly so. I can close mic the guitar and harp.
Plenty of bass traps and a vaulted ceiling, 24x18'.

You'll need to do a few test runs and move mics around and such, but the setup fits the kind of music you want to make. The biggest problem I have using a setup like this is when one person clams, it usually ruins the whole take.

You'll need to do a few test runs and move mics around and such, but the setup fits the kind of music you want to make. The biggest problem I have using a setup like this is when one person clams, it usually ruins the whole take.

Well that's the breaks. I'd like to get everything tuned in and just record the whole practice. It's simple music, 3 chord rockabilly and blues. I have a buddy I think I can talk into manning the record button. Over the course of a few rehearsals I think we could get an acceptable 3-4 song demo.

You have inserts on all channels on the board right?
What board is it?

If so, I'd do the following:
Vocals, Bass and amp mics into the 4 mic channels on the interface.
Kick, snare and overheads into the board and run inserts from the board to the 5-8 line inserts on the interface.
Really recommend you keep drum tracks separate until mix time.
Have your singer wear headphones. No monitors. Thank me later. :wink:

That way you should be able to get very decent sounding mixes.

Back