Real instrument, real music

why is he in bed? Is he sick ? why is his hair green? Does he have some kind of hair fungus ?

How is one supposed to know which sound is associated with which trigger?
2498e4460057c402bed2b27b936cc69d.jpg

How is one supposed to know which sound is associated with which trigger?

Mostly pattern memorization. Though some pads can actually trigger other ones, or whole chains, depending on how it's programmed. People have been doing this stuff since the old mpc days, but it really took off with the launchpad about 8 years ago or so. Lots of vids out there.

It's a whole other world. I'm shocked internet guitarists aren't aware of this stuff.

You can also cheat and have flashy lights blink and make it look like you're actually doing stuff, when you're really not. Kinda like DJing :thu:

Wasabi isn't cheating though. Here's Nev, he's huge when it comes to this stuff. You can see what he's doing on an old launchpad pretty clearly, and also see how some of it is a "lightshow".

And here's a bunch that are mostly lightshows.

It gets ridiculous too.

Last edited:
Honestly (and I'll probably be skewered here) I don't know why people bother to spend years learning an instrument when this technology is available now. Its an idea whose time has come and there is no stopping it. That said there is no good reason to stop playing "real" instruments either.

I guess its the end result that matters.

"Real Instrument" :grin:

In the 80s, when I was in my electronic music phase, people would ask me why I didn't play a real instrument. I finally added this story to a performance I was doing that combined spoken word and electronic music:

Often times, people ask me why I don't play a real instrument. The other night, I had a dream that I was back in the early days of humankind. I saw a group of people hitting stones together is a rhythmic pattern. You might say it was early rock music. I saw one person who took a hollowed-out log; he then stretched an animal skin across one end and began hitting with a stick in the same pattern. All of the stone players stopped, turned around, and asked him, "Why don't you play a real instrument?"

I loved the OP vid and the other things I had time to check out.

Could a controller like these be easily set up to control something like superior drummer??

I loved the OP vid and the other things I had time to check out.

Could a controller like these be easily set up to control something like superior drummer??

Yup they work as more or less standard midi controllers as well. Though most of them are not velocity sensitive.

You can also get voltage converter hardware too, so really pretty much anything electrical can be controlled :thu:

Is there a good on that is velocity sensitive? Or would you be better off just getting a weighted midi keyboard?

There are.

Do you play keys? Are you just looking to program drum stuff? How big of a grid do you really need? 4x4 and 8x8 are pretty standard, though there are others. What's your budget?

There are also some keyboard controllers that have pads built in as well. Usually they are more limited in function though.

I don't play keys but I dabble. Being able to do keys and velocity-sensitive drum stuff would be nice. A grid controller is an option too tho.

Budget? Cheap! Until GAS sets in.

Back