Real food challenge

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
One of my 'goals' for 2015 was to do this food challenge - 10 days of real food. It comes from a website called 100 days of real food started by a lady who had her family eat 'real' food for 100 days. They did it and blogged about it and that is where the website came from and birthed the 10 day challenge.

I am now on day eight and aside from a few minor slip ups on Saturday, one of which was unintentional (white flour tortilla on a breakfast burrito from a deli - didn't think about it until it was gone) I have kept the challenge.
The one part that is harder is that if possible they want you to eat only organic and locally sourced meat. Local chicken is a bit easier, but local beef and pork are very hard to find and what I did find was way too expensive. Beef averaged $15.00 a pound and I don't have that kinda money in the budget. I eat a lot of chicken and turkey anyways. Also beer and wine are allowed. No white flour - only whole grains. I did eat out once with Mrs D, but I went to Chipotle and got a burrito bowl with brown rice.

Overall I really did not change much about my diet except cutting out some junk food and switching up from white rice to brown rice. I do eat a lot of rice and that will probably be a change I make permanent - except for the rice cakes I make for running because those need to be made with sticky rice. I am having a hankering for a big ole greasy burger at a sports bar and/or hot wings though.

We used the start of the new year to get back on track as well. Similar but I am in the no grains crowd. The most interesting thing we found was that we both noticed improved sleep the very first night. Of course we were eating pretty crappy leading up.

On grass fed, I love the idea and want to work my way in that direction but I think the only affordable way is to buy or split a side of beef from a grass fed farm. Of course that means having space to have a freezer and the ability to keep said freezer running.

I always feel so much better when I eat this way, I have no idea why I let myself slowly drift off track.

We used the start of the new year to get back on track as well. Similar but I am in the no grains crowd. The most interesting thing we found was that we both noticed improved sleep the very first night. Of course we were eating pretty crappy leading up.

On grass fed, I love the idea and want to work my way in that direction but I think the only affordable way is to buy or split a side of beef from a grass fed farm. Of course that means having space to have a freezer and the ability to keep said freezer running.

I always feel so much better when I eat this way, I have no idea why I let myself slowly drift off track.

I do sleep better as well. I only have a traditional freezer in the fridge right now so the side of beef idea is out but I will look at that when I get out of the apartment (hopefully by early fall).

My wife is not on board with the freezer thing yet. I have some work left to do there but I dont give up easy.

Back