RC Booster and its uses

More of a general thread, but I started thinking about it after I realized I use it way less than I had first imagined. I guess the only thing would be if I played more clean stuff, and needed something to make the notes pop out more. Other than that, it's pretty much all about the gain for me. Various levels of OD, and maybe some distortion for the big riffs or solos, Gilmour-style.

I'm a bit torn.

I'm curious to see what people say here as well. I recently bought the Donner Boost Killer which Is a clone of the RC Boost. My original intent with this pedal was for use on the clean channel along with some compression to get that slightly broken up type tone.
I suppose it could also be used in front of an already dirty amp to push it just a little more...

Gotta add that I also have a Mooer Pure Boost, which is supposedly an RC clone with a little less volume boost. I got that one used, just to try it out, so in that respect it was great value. Haven't really used it, so it's just sitting there next to its bigger stepbrother the RC.

I have the Boost Killer (Donner's RC clone) as well. Picked it up used for cheap. Like you guys, I use it mostly for a boost, sometimes on clean and sometimes after another OD pedal. Seems to work well in both cases, although I really use it more alone on cleans. Fattens things up a bit as well adding the boost with a touch of OD. I play mostly single coils.

I use it as a boost for not super dirty stuff or to drive my slightly on the edge of breakup clean amp into slightly more broken up sounds. I've had at least one RC Booster in my rig continuously for probably 12 years.

I've got enough drives and boosts to last a lifetime, gonna sell some off and just keep playing and see if I'll come across situations where I feel I need a certain sound. Chorus, vibe, whatever. Right now it's a BB Preamp MB giving me my main sound, with an EP Booster copy boosting it for added gain. Got some additional drives, but it's all about the main one most of the time.

Back